Walnut Blasting, My Experiences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut Blasting, My Experiences.

I had recently noticed that the general performance of my engine had deteriorated, the tick-over was lumpy as well as acceleration being patchy rather than smooth, also the exhaust note has become considerably more 'warbley', it was no longer as much fun to drive. In fact the same symptoms Jamie* from SP Tuning had noted prior to a session with his walnut blaster.
    *Jamie is the one on here who's expertise comes via practical application of knowledge and skill, rather than by Google and Tapatalk.

So off I went to Hinckley/Burbage and handed over my turbo roller-skate to Jamie, after a great gym session consisting of squats, wide grip pull-ups, weighted dips and shoulder press I returned to SP Tuning to see how things were going, Jamie had the camera down the back of the engine and this is what we both saw.

Please note that I saw these images in real-time with my own eyes, they are not copied from anybody else's posts or from a product advertisement. I think we all agree they are pretty honking for an engine that has travelled just over 27,000 miles.

I let Jamie crack on with the blasting whilst I went for some scrambled egg on toast, coffee and a blast around the local woods on my mountain bike

Back at SP Tuning I had another real-time look with my own eyes at Jamie's handywork.

So once everything was back together and farewells bid, I embarked on my 150 mile journey home, unfortunately due to inconsiderate people crashing on major junctions and feeder routes it took me nearly four hours but at least it allowed me plenty of time to have a go in my 'new' car.

So what were the noticeable differences, well first off the idle is even with no more warble, even when cold the engine sounds and feels like it did at new, the engine note is constant and far quieter. Next is the power delivery, no more roller coaster dips and troughs when the accelerator is pushed hard, most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd the power delivery is smooth throughout the whole rev range, the turbo comes into play with tremendous urgency, torque steer is back again.

Conclusion
    So first a few facts, the valves were in a state, after the walnut blast they were clean, this I saw in real-time with my own eyes. Performance wise the improvement is significantly noticeable, its like driving a completely different car, no placebo effect from the blasting, the car was completely different to drive on the way back than it was on the way there.

Now I know people are talking about using Terraclean as a cheaper alternative, my question is do they allow you to inspect the valves with a camera before and after, if not then how do you know it has worked. Well a difference in performance after would indicate success would it not, maybe, or it may indicate there has been a reduction in the carbon build-up. As Jamie showed me, its relatively easy to get rid of most of the build up, but its very hard to get rid of all of it.

Until somebody has seen what the chemical cleaners can and cant achieve, il stick with recommending SP Tuning.

pic 2: I know there is a valve in there somewhere-------ahhhh Jamie found it:snowy0:
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
      pic 2: I know there is a valve in there somewhere-------ahhhh Jamie found it:snowy0:
      Yip, that would explain the lumpy idle

Comment

Impressive!

JB

Comment

Great result!
          - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
            Impressive!

JB
            I agree, im up 10% on my shoulder press

Comment

Cylinder no4 was the most contaminated, prob because it's nearest to the PCV connection.
              White on red THP
              Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Looks very good, what was the cost for that SFG?
                DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                  Cylinder no4 was the most contaminated, prob because it's nearest to the PCV connection.
                  I was going to mention that but couldn't remember what it was nearest too ha ha ha.

Took the car to the gym this morning so cold and slightly damp engine, idle was smooth as was the acceleration. Il be booking it in with Toomey Citroen for its 4 year service today, that should be a laugh.

By the way averaged 55MPG on the way home, that was about 50% Motorway at 60-80mph. 25% Motorway at 0-30mph and the rest town driving at 0-40mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
                    Looks very good, what was the cost for that SFG?
                    PM Jamie mate.

Comment

Probs a silly question but jamie.. have you considered getting some people high up in Citroen to come over to your shop and kindly pointing out this lovely and massivily inconveniant and very annoying problem and showing them walnut blasting is the best method??

Comment

Originally posted by gaz_dsport View Post
                        Probs a silly question but jamie.. have you considered getting some people high up in Citroen to come over to your shop and kindly pointing out this lovely and massivily inconveniant and very annoying problem and showing them walnut blasting is the best method??
                        Gaz, I would suggest that one of the reasons Citroen may not have adopted Walnut Blasting as the defacto answer to the problem (a problem they don't even acknowledge) is that its time consuming, it took Jamie a day to do mine.

Comment

That's a fair point about the time bit... Citroen just need a friendly hi5 in the face till they see it is a problem they need to fix properly... I am dieing to get mine down to Jamie.. but I want to make sure I have the forge oil catch tank ready to put on as soon as he has cleaned it all up for me haha

Comment

Originally posted by gaz_dsport View Post
                            That's a fair point about the time bit... Citroen just need a friendly hi5 in the face till they see it is a problem they need to fix properly... I am dieing to get mine down to Jamie.. but I want to make sure I have the forge oil catch tank ready to put on as soon as he has cleaned it all up for me haha
                            I now have a front OCC and use 98ron fuel, would be interesting to see what it looks like in another 27k.

Comment

It certainly does the job- whats the recommended interval between treatments, every year?

Think Jamie quoted between £2-300 which is fine, so long as its not too frequent. Each job has different issues no doubt as Jamie previously said.
                              Got a bit of info on the Terraclean, which doesnt persuade as to the use of there cleaning method for a GDI clean. Will post up on other thread later.

Had a front OCC and used BP Ultimate from day one after reading up on this site. 18k in.
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X