X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with DS3, advice needed

Hi chaps,
    first post alert!!!!
    I have a ds3 1.6 thp sport I had a Viezu remap on it in 2013 and the engine blew in May this year. Citroen put a new one in ( without knowledge of the remap ) under warranty ( by 3 weeks, phew ). I had the remap put back on and 3 months later im experiencing problems again such as engine mgt light coming on going into limp mode, plugs sooting up, and a bit chuggy while idling. So ive had the remap taken off. Viezu say its not their remap causing the problem. So what is>?? Is this the common problem you have discussed about before??

Thanx

gilly

Hi Gilly- welcome to the Club. Take some time to search this forum- theres loads about this
    Had a Viezu map on my 150 for 20k, didn't give me an issue
    However, when the map was looked at by someone in the know, they had issues with the fuel/air mix being too rich, which may have caused issues over time
    I took the map off and part exed the car

What is date of manufacture of your THP do you know? Understand it was first registered May 2011 (Mine was June 2011)
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by gillygilly View Post
      Hi chaps,
      first post alert!!!!
      I have a ds3 1.6 thp sport I had a Viezu remap on it in 2013 and the engine blew in May this year. Citroen put a new one in ( without knowledge of the remap ) under warranty ( by 3 weeks, phew ). I had the remap put back on and 3 months later im experiencing problems again such as engine mgt light coming on going into limp mode, plugs sooting up, and a bit chuggy while idling. So ive had the remap taken off. Viezu say its not their remap causing the problem. So what is>?? Is this the common problem you have discussed about before??

Thanx

gilly
      Welcome to the forum Gilly! If you take the car to BCC in Bolton, they'll be more than familiar with the issue as they dealt with the first engine replacement on my 2010 and subsequently investigated faults with my second engine.

Out of interest, what are the last few characters of your reg?

This thread is going to be a good starting point for you:

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....THP-power-loss
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

wow, super quick replies guys thanx. The last 3 digits HFT. It was BCC that did the work/engine under warranty. I took the plugs out before it went to BCC and there was oil on them. They would not tell me what the codes were. They tell me that the new engines warranty ran out with the cars warranty in June 14, so no warranty. Viezu seem to think there is something wrong with the car but I want to have some idea what exacttly could be wrong before I go as they will want to charge me.

Thanx

Gilly

Comment

Would ask how much the costs to investigate are before you hand over your car
          ie: Don't think they should charge you until they find the problem, and they say how much the repair is

There were a few people with issues running the Viezu map- but all I can say is I didn't get any for the time I had the car.
          Wonder where Viezu gets their adamant opinion that its not their map (I am not saying it is their map)
          But the earlier the THP, the more problems they seem to have had- especially if driven hard
          How many miles yours done?
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by gillygilly View Post
            wow, super quick replies guys thanx. The last 3 digits HFT. It was BCC that did the work/engine under warranty. I took the plugs out before it went to BCC and there was oil on them. They would not tell me what the codes were. They tell me that the new engines warranty ran out with the cars warranty in June 14, so no warranty. Viezu seem to think there is something wrong with the car but I want to have some idea what exacttly could be wrong before I go as they will want to charge me.

Thanx

Gilly
            Bummer on the warranty. Might be worthwhile looking into purchasing an extended warranty(if that's an option?) with Citroen or buying a third party one.

The thread I linked to discusses multiple faults that owners of the THP have had and some with the exact symptoms you reported (the same as what I suffered), so definitely worth a read when you have some time.

So far, theres fixes and workarounds:

Fixes
            - Uprated pistons and a good deep clean of the engine Ragnarok took this route with his modified DS3R and so far hasn't suffered any major issues.

- Engine swap for the newer THP engine which so far doesn't seem to suffer the same issues.

Workaround's
            - Walnut blasting. Find someone who has this magical tool that gives the engine a deep clean using walnut shells. SPTuning are a partner of the forum who can do this and offer discount to members on remaps and other services. I've been down there a couple of times and the tea service is fantastic!

- Oil-Catch can(s). The THP is known for filling up with sticky oil residue and gunk. Some members have found fitting a catch can or two to be beneficial and to catch a fair bit of vapour and occasionally oil which would otherwise sit and stir.

From the symptoms you've reported I'd suggest looking at a fix sooner rather than later. I'm a known pessemist but from experience, bills to repair this at it's worst can cost a fair bit.

Keep us updated with how you get on. If you need any more advice, I'm no doubt only round the corner so feel free to give me a shout.
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

cheers lads,
              the car had done around 32k when the engine packed up. Its now done around 6k on the new engine. So the new probs on new engine are:- its gone into limp mode once when engine mgt light came on, theres been a couple of occassions when its its been trying to cut out while idling, ive just had to put 1.5ltr oil in even though new engine only 6 month old, spark plugs sooty. BCC want to charge £50 just to do a diagnostic check. Do you not think they woulda put the newer thp engine in only 6 month ago? Somebody has mentioned asking BCC if they have "coded" it properly ( whatever that means ).

It is on Hire Purchase and have done some checking and apperantly I dont own the car yet, Citroen Finance own it so I can tell them to put pressure on BCC to put it right at no cost to me? Does that sound right?

Thanx

Gilly

Comment

I don't think a dealer will do work for free on a car out of warranty, unless specifically told to do so by CUK
                CUK may help you outside of warranty if its a problem that is known (Specifically) ie Timing chain/tensioner etc
                So they would need to know whats wrong

Putting that much oil into a THP is not normal- its being burnt or lost (Piece of cardboard under engine overnight)

Citroen finance have the rights to the car as you haven't paid the finance, but this doesn't mean they will pay for work on the car, or put pressure on the dealer to do it for free. But you can ask.
                Would drop CUK a line about it too.

If it was me I'd pay the £50 to get things moving, then have the bigger chat later dependant on what they find

Ed- Your issues with management light (Sensors) and idling cut out/ uneven aNd sooty spark plugs would point me to fuel/air mix, as it appears some sort of fuel burn issue, maybe timing (Too rich?)
                Last edited by Chris_Blue; 17-12-2014, 08:34.
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

is there not a reputable tuner to go to who understands mapping work?

Im new to citroens so apologies if this sounds a daft question. I stuck with certain tuners for everything on my RS and other cars.

Sounds like mapping issues personally. Have you checked over all the basics, plugs, coil packs, air flow meters.

Also is there a version of a KAM fuse on these cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteyds3 View Post
                    is there not a reputable tuner to go to who understands mapping work?
                    Yep- Jamie at SPTuning in Hinckley, Leicestershire :-)
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Happy to help
                      White on red THP
                      Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Sorry to be a party pooper but if the car is under HP then you are in breach of the terms and conditions of the agreement let alone the warranty of the car. If Citroen cotton on (which they will as the old engine would have gone to Citroen Technical for a full check) you are walking on thin ice when it comes to claiming again.

Will say what made me smile most about this thread is that you had a remap done which blew the engine and the first thing you do with the new one is do the same again
                        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                        Bigfeet's File Repository
                        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                          you had a remap done which blew the engine
                          Doubt it. I'm pretty sure we all know what the true fault was here..
                          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                            Doubt it. I'm pretty sure we all know what the true fault was here..
                            True but on the other hand what we don't know is the failure rate for the engine, be interesting to know how many are on the road compared to those that have failed. Granted the THP engine has been of a dogs dinner and so as the 130 VTi takes over the better, the stop gap with the THP165 is only temporary
                            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                            Bigfeet's File Repository
                            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

[QUOTE=Bigfeet;179812] Granted the THP engine has been of a dogs dinner QUOTE]

That's coming from a Citroen dealer- LOL
                              When its running well, its a really smooth engine that delivers good power

Timing chain/tensioner, HPFP, PCV system and cylinder issues could be quality revised upwards
                              And a solution to the carbonisation could be built in
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X