Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 Discs/Rotor grooves

Hi

this is my first post so thanks in advance for any advice.

I have just bought a 2012 DS3 which I picked up from a Citroen dealer on Xmas eve. The car has rarely been used and only has 4,300 miles on the clock. In fact over the past year is has only had 1000 miles of use.

Before I contact the dealer I would just like some help with what may or may not be a problem. When braking I have a grinding/scraping noise. It sounds like the pads are worn through but on looking at them they look fine (which I would expect after so little use). What I have noticed though is that all four of the discs/rotors have grooves on them where I would expect them to be smooth. A bit like an old vinyl record. Don't know if this is normal or not. If it was one or two then I would be concerned but with all four the same it is confusing.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards

Hoov

Welcome Hooverman

Depends how much you have used it to be honest, in relation to the scraping sound.
    I get that on my brakes every time its left for a few days. Its just residue and rust that builds up through lack of use, then needs burning off

In relation to the grooving, so long as the pads have the same grooving (And cant see why they havent) then all should be fine
    Mine has had grooving since i bought it, and still has 20k miles later on. Brakes are fine
    The discs will polish up after a good lot of use

Sure after a few days all should be fine
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

I have the same on my front discs, I queried it with the dealer and they told me it wasn't a problem and certainly not worth paying for until the discs needed replacement. I therefore just put up with the occasional squeaky sounds now and then.
      sigpic

Comment

You get anywhere with this Hooverman?
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Its funny because both of my DS3's I have owned I fitted new disc's all round plus pads and after a short while the fronts make a grinding noise at low speed before you stop.

It seems like you have no pads left but when you check there is plenty of meat on them .You brake from high speed and its quite

Is this a trait with the cars ?

The first time this happened I binned the pads thinking they were faulty then everything was quiet for a few thousand then the grinding came back ................weird

I dont think its car related as it was the same on both cars
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Hi Chris

the DS3 is in the dealers today to be checked. Will update you when I get the info back from them regarding the grooved discs

Comment

trying to upload a pic of one of the discs but although it goes to 100% it then tells me "upload has failed". Any ideas please. Pic is 4.12mb so not huge

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers F Disc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	359146

Comment

Just had word back from Citroen garage. They reckon all of the discs and pads just needed a good clean, which they have done. I would have thought that just normal road and braking use would have sorted that out. So the jury remains out on that solution from them. Will wait and see and will post back if it has, or has not, sorted the problem out.
                  Here's hoping

Comment

That's handy then Hooverman (Cost wise)
                    Mine aren't as bad as yours, but not too far away
                    Mine make grating sounds occasionally, and kept thinking the pads are getting real low. But they looked fine to me when the wheels were off- bout 30% left
                    Then a few days later the sounds go

Maybe a smear of copper grease next time- see if that works

Will be trying slotted and grooved discs next, with new pads. Just hope at the next service (2 months) dealer can provide them, as OEM discs and pads don't seem to wear great. Mind you ive done 22k miles so far, so cant complain

If Dealer cant provide, then will go elsewhere.
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Looking at your picture, I've seen a lot worse. The scraping noise you're hearing is probably caused by the surface rust - mine are doing it at the moment, but it's only audible at very load speeds, such as when I'm reversing it down the drive. I'd expect a good workout to get them back to normal.

If they're "rumbling" under hard, high speed braking, it's a slightly more serious problem, which may need disc & pad replacment, although on my DS3 that, again, was cured by giving the brakes a good workout.

Comment

Yes- Ive had warped discs, Now they are very noticeable. Judder like hell
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                          Maybe a smear of copper grease next time- see if that works
                          If the noise is caused by degradation of the disc surface copper grease won't cure it.

Will be trying slotted and grooved discs next, with new pads. Just hope at the next service (2 months) dealer can provide them, as OEM discs and pads don't seem to wear great. Mind you ive done 22k miles so far, so cant complain
                          Slotted/grooved discs are total overkill for normal road use. If you're frequently managing to fade the OE setup, spend more on "upgrading" your brakes, if not, stick with the OE spec (not necessarily OE parts - aftermarket pattern parts will be just as good, maybe better). Slotted/grooved pads can give noise problems & accelerate pad wear.

As for pad/disc wear, I'm at 32,000 miles on OE! Probably a reflection of a big percentage of my mileage being on motorways

Comment

Copper grease may help, least it can be tried- or why do the mechs apply it in the first place. Just a thought (Maybe the noise is not disc degradation and something to do with the pad composite)

Its mainly when taking a spin round the circuits the brakes can get well hot and spongy, but will look into it a bit more before I make a change
                            OEM brakes are not at all bad for everyday use, but they do have their moments at high speed (110 mph+) and don't work particularly well

So it was suggested to me to change to slotted and grooved, for better air movement and cooling
                            Caliper upgrades and bigger pads/ discs may be too far, but would be considered (Looked at a Tarox set up) but as always costs have to be taken into account
                            Last edited by Chris_Blue; 19-01-2015, 17:31. Reason: 110 +
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

This Rumbling Grating noise must be inherent with the DS3 then because it seems I am not the only one to have heard it ?

With new pads no problem and after they have worn slightly you get the grating at low speed and TBH when you hear it you would have thought it was metal to metal but check the pads they are fine

As for grooved discs I am not sure ?? Ok they deglaze the pads and maybe allow the gasses to escape and help with fade but as to increase your braking I doubt it .The only way is bigger better discs and callipers
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Working...
                              X