Burning smell at the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning smell at the rear

Hello, this is my first post! I've had my DS3 for about a month, today something happened and I'm not sure if it's my driving or the car!

I was in a car park and had the clutch down and slowed right down probably from 10 to less than 5mph. I changed into 1st and brought it upto to the bite. As I did this it sounded and felt like the engine was revving up but not gaining momentum and the clutch pedal seemed like it was vibrating. The car filled with a burning smell which was stronger at the back of the car when I got out to check.

I thought I was probably just burning the clutch and went on shopping. No issues when I drove off.

I got back home and we have an underground car park. I slowed the car down to stop before the ramp down, put the clutch down and put it into 1st and the car filled with the burning smell. Again I checked and it's strongest at the rear passenger side wheel. There was no revving or vibrating on the pedal this time.

Is this the clutch burning or something else?

Originally posted by bhis View Post
    Hello, this is my first post! I've had my DS3 for about a month, today something happened and I'm not sure if it's my driving or the car!

I was in a car park and had the clutch down and slowed right down probably from 10 to less than 5mph. I changed into 1st and brought it upto to the bite. As I did this it sounded and felt like the engine was revving up but not gaining momentum and the clutch pedal seemed like it was vibrating. The car filled with a burning smell which was stronger at the back of the car when I got out to check.

I thought I was probably just burning the clutch and went on shopping. No issues when I drove off.

I got back home and we have an underground car park. I slowed the car down to stop before the ramp down, put the clutch down and put it into 1st and the car filled with the burning smell. Again I checked and it's strongest at the rear passenger side wheel. There was no revving or vibrating on the pedal this time.

Is this the clutch burning or something else?
    From the syptoms you've described my first bet would be clutch too.

This may sound a silly question but what does it smell off? Burning clutch, rubber, electric?

Obviously we'd most likely all suggest you get it to a dealer ASAP, if the issue is replicable it shouldn't take them too long to uncover the cause.

Good luck.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

It has a slight electrical dirty smokey smell to it. I did a lot of driving inbetween with no incidents.

Comment

It has a slight electrical dirty smokey smell to it. I did a lot of driving inbetween with no incidents.
        Weird, for safety's sake have a look at the vents in the boot of the car and check the wires grounded behind this panel are secure.

After that I think your best bet would be to get it booked in at your nearest dealer so the experts can have a look.
        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

The smell in the boot is very strong compared to in the car itself.

Comment

Sounds to me as though your clutch is on the way out. With the car stationary, put it into second gear, rev the engine to around 3,000 rev/min & slowly let the clutch out. If the engine doesn't stall immediately it's an indication of a worn clutch. You can also try flooring the accelerator at around 50 mph in fourth - if the revs rise fasted than the speed that's a sure indication.

Comment

I hope my driving isn't as bad as that! The car is brand new and only clocked up 700 miles!

I took it for a drive again tonight to try and re-create it. Parking, slowing etc but it didn't do it again. Even being a bit harsher on the clutch didn't prompt any burning.

I had a look under the bonnet before I left and there was a bit of paper under there on the passenger side just over the round grill part that's on each side. It was slightly browned but not what I'd call burnt, nothing else looked out of sorts. I had a look in the boot under the two vents and couldn't see anything that looked wrong.

I'll give the 2nd gear thing a try tomorrow.

Comment

In my experience that type of smell would be clutch like the others have said, either that or brakes binding.
                sigpic

Comment

I hope my driving isn't as bad as that! The car is brand new and only clocked up 700 miles!

I took it for a drive again tonight to try and re-create it. Parking, slowing etc but it didn't do it again. Even being a bit harsher on the clutch didn't prompt any burning.
                  At that mileage I think you can rule out a worn clutch!

I had a look under the bonnet before I left and there was a bit of paper under there on the passenger side just over the round grill part that's on each side. It was slightly browned but not what I'd call burnt, nothing else looked out of sorts. I had a look in the boot under the two vents and couldn't see anything that looked wrong.
                  That's a possible cause - odd that it should only have been noticeable under the conditions you described in your first post, but odd things happen with cars!

I'll give the 2nd gear thing a try tomorrow.
                  I wouldn't bother, as the problem seems to have gone away. If you can't reproduce it & it doesn't happen again, just write it off as a new car quirk!

Comment

Working...
                  X