Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 Problems Strike Again!

Hello all (again)

The last few days I have had a new problem with the DS3. It's not starting in the mornings!
    The video below is after about 5 minutes trying to get it going. Had to call AA out yesterday and he managed to get it started. He said it was flooded.
    So I took it down my local dealer and they plugged it into their diagnostics and all was fine. He said there is nothing else he can do because the computer has not flashed up any codes.
    He also said its impossible to flood a new electric injection engine?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas what it could be that I could try, before I drive it though the dealers showroom pane glass window?
    Could it be something as simple as spark plugs? I think they are the original ones.... Mind you, looking at the engine, I cannot even see them to have a look. Probably something else the dealer will have to check with a charge!

Hi Barbs- Could be something as simple as spark plugs- maybe sooted up or damaged
    Could be damp weather, could be electrical connections, could be a lot of things to be honest

Try squirting a bit of WD40 or similar on electrical connectors.
    Try keeping engine dry and warmish overnight (around 3 degrees and above) in a garage or something

Its a process of elimination to be honest- or something completely different.
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

I have taken it into the dealer as they have offered to have a look for free.
      I left it outside the dealership all day, popped in at 4 o’clock and asked one of the engineers to start it. Luckily, it didn't! He was majorly confused as to why no engine warning lights were illuminated.

He said he will leave it overnight in their car park then in the morning, plug his laptop thing into the car and try to start it. It should then give him a read out of some sort. Something about the firing or coil pack power on a chart?

Anyway, I will update once I hear from them tomorrow.

Comment

Coil pack went on my Focus, and it didnt start
        Only problem for 8 odd years. Relaible motors those Fords
        Good luck in fault finding
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

You will find the issue is the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) a very common problem, especially what you describe, and listening to you're video.
          Performance Powered By Thought
          Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Just got off the phone to them and they said it refused to start for them this morning, and it 'might be' a temperature sensor?

They are in talks with the warranty company to see if they will cover it, but I'm not holding my breath. They said no when I had to have the timing chain changed lol.

Comment

Just an update:

Got car back today, dealer replaced engine temp sensor and all seems to be fine. Cold started engine from the dealer.
              Oh, and the warranty company coughed up! Result

Comment

Nice one Barbs :-)
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Great news - pleased it all appears to be sorted now
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks, they told me the new range of engine temp sensors have been modified? I'm guessing the old type that was fitted to mine was a known faulty version.
                    Just out of interest, how would the engine temp sensor stop my car from starting like it did?

Comment

If its reading red hot, (Shorted out) the ECU may prevent starting so no engine damage takes place... at a guess
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by barbs706 View Post
                        Just out of interest, how would the engine temp sensor stop my car from starting like it did?
                        To start from cold the engine needs a richer mixture, i.e. more petrol, than it does when it's up to temperature (the same as using the choke on an old car!). If the sensor's giving a high reading the ECU will think the engine's hot & will not enrich the mixture. Conversely, if the sensor's giving a very low reading the mixture will be over-rich & wet the spark plugs, making them unable to produce a spark.

Comment

Ahh I see. I used to have an old Ford Capri that was a nightmare to start. Manual choke had to be set just right!

Thanks everyone for all their input!

Comment

Originally posted by barbs706 View Post
                            Ahh I see. I used to have an old Ford Capri that was a nightmare to start. Manual choke had to be set just right!
                            Me too- LOL
                            Had to take the spark plugs out, clean them up and even heat them with a cigarrette lighter for a minute or so before itd start on really cold days
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Worst car I ever had for cold starting was a BMW1800ti. It had two enormous Solex twin-choke carbs pointing straight at the plugs. Even in the coldest weather using the choke was guaranteed to wet the plugs, so the technique was to a couple of quick stabs on the accelerator pedal to give a squirt of petrol from the accelerator pumps. Get it right & it started first time, overdo it & you'd wet the plugs.

Six-volt electrics probably didn't help!

Comment

Working...
                              X