Coolant Temp Sensor Failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Temp Sensor Failure?

For the last day the DS3 has started to run the thermo fan constantly, doesn't switch off after turning off the ignition either. The first time this happened the fan ran for about 5 minutes after turning the car off before I resorted to disconnecting the battery, only needs to be for a second, to turn the fan off.
    According to the temp gauge on the dash, temperature gets up to normal operating temp and then the fan kicks in and doesn't stop, so the temp drops to below normal temp.

My initial though was an electrical gremlin with the fan;
    But as the thermo fan is kicking in earlier than normal and not switching off, given that the temp sensor is known to fail on these, would it be a correct assumption that the coolant temperature sensor has failed?

Also, haven't had a check engine light, but did have a engine repair needed message on the info display, but only the first time this happened.

Thanks in advance, Tim.

My 120 did this, but this was also followed by limp mode. Is it running normally otherwise?
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Thanks WTF
      Yeah, running fairly well, not quite right, but not limp mode(I think, havent had limp mode before, i assume it is a really low power, safe mode).
      Last edited by tch; 10-02-2015, 11:40.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmObj62ixXM

Guess it's the same fault as I had on my R.

Comment

I know Wes had a temp fault repair and I think Kat did. Ours a being the 120vti. I never got to the bottom of my fault because I part ex'd her in.

But limp mode you'd know about. Literally no power when accelerating.

But was a constant fan and I think the warning was anti pollution fault on the display. Took it to cuk, they said it just needed an ecu update. I now think they just discontented everything as I would when the fault happened because it came back a few days later. After any reset if I accelerated hard. It would 100% happen again and the fan would start again.
          My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

An update;
            Seems to have been the car going into a sort of safe mode.

I had disconnected the rear pcv hose while planning what connectors I would need to put in a catch can on the rear pcv hose. A mate came around when I was in the middle of this, and I forgot to reconnect the top of the hose when I got back to the car. Found this last night, and seems to be running properly again.

Will still keep and eye on it for a while though... So it was only my own incompetence that was the problem.

And thanks again WTF and DS3PO.

Comment

No worries

Keep us updated!
              My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Started car 1st thing this morning- "Engine temperature fault- stop vehicle".
                That made me laugh- I hadn't gone anywhere, and the engine had only been going 45 seconds, fan overruns for 5 minutes when ignition off.

Fault code is P0116 "Engine coolant temperature"
                Dashboards temp gauge was over maximum (Engine was stone cold pretty much)
                So knew the sensor had gone

Was down the dealer within half hour, they gave me a brand new C1 with 100 mile on the clock- and I collected the car at 4pm
                Cheers lads and lasses at Tates in Hove

Lets hope that's the end of my bad luck run with the DS3 :-)
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Must be the seaside air.....
                  White on red THP
                  Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

mines in to the dealers for this tomorrow has same msg on display yesterday apparently there is also a new modification to do for the new sensor
                    http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps710a29cb.jpg
                    2011 car 2014 LOOKS ;; RETRO FITTED XENON FULL LED SIGNATURE AND DIM LIT DRL'S AT NIGHT OEM +. instagram #Markaucott

build thread My Transformer edition!
                    DS3 transformer edition taking on its most radical transformation into a BMW 320 i

Comment

Originally posted by MARK.A View Post
                      mines in to the dealers for this tomorrow has same msg on display yesterday apparently there is also a new modification to do for the new sensor
                      yes- the sensor is built into the housing from what I understand.
                      So- whats next to go wrong lol.
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Seems to be a pretty common fault.
                        Knew mine was shot when torque pro said the engine temp was -5c on a 30c day.

Engine warms up much faster now, and heater works a whole lot better with the new thermostat housing housing.
                        On cold morning mornings, I now get warm air from the aircon by the end of my street vs a long time later previously.

Comment

Hi I have THP150 model 2012. This happen twice and was covered by warranty.
                          They changed the sensor once and reset on the computer on second.
                          I found this happen after long drive at night also the roads are faster...
                          My terrapy was and is to let motor cool before shut it. Maybe stop for gas near home.
                          I give it about 15-30 minutes to cool.
                          Ori.

Comment

I have 2013 155 THP my engine temp sensor has just failed. Car had been starting lumpy for a few week then failed to start altogether. Managed to bump it and when it was running it was fine, drove straight to dealership. They looked and said it was engine temp sensor told me it was a recall on my car and changed it for free. Problem has now gone obviously Citroen are well aware of this sensor failing.

Comment

Temp senor has just gone on my 2012 155 THP - had only driven 500 yards when the STOP light came on, temp gauge was redline and the engine temp fault was displayed - engine was stone cold having not been driven in a week so I was pretty sure it must be a sensor problem. Called the dealer who said "Yeah there's a recall on those" so car is booked in for tomorrow first thing - hopefully will be a quick fix as there's no courtesy cars available and the dealership is not on a bus route so is a pain to get to and from with no car!

Comment

Working...
                              X