Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking wheel nuts headache!

Hey folks,

New user here, been a lingerer for a while now thought I would get involved and given my current issue, now seemed as good a time as any!

So, here's the score -

New tyres fitted yesterday by Kwik Fit. They came to the house to do it and since the cars on lease it was free so have zero complaints there.

Here's the issue -

I'm a bit of a safety freak so when he shot off and before I replaced the (now very very clean caps) got the kit out the spare wheel compartment and used the supplied tools to make sure the nuts were on tight enough. 3 of them absolutely fine.

The locking wheel nut now just spins. *update, not the nut itself, the top of the nut where the locking tool goes over*. Now I'm hesitant to put it down to fault of the KF technician due to three factors
    -the guy was clearly a good lad, he would have mentioned before he left and he didn't leave showing any hesitance to letting me in and around the area.

-the nut appears to be fully tightened properly (visual test of course)

-I've heard far too many bad stories about the supplied locking wheel nuts to believe this could be anything other than failure of the nut itself.

Sooooo, any ideas how I should approach this? It's fine as it is, however should I get a puncture or next time the wheel needs to come off....

Thanks in advance folks!

*edit - just dawned on me I made sure 100% I was using the tool correctly, that it isn't at fault and that it's not damaged in any way. Works perfectly on the other wheels.
    Last edited by Pffcouk; 29-03-2015, 19:26. Reason: Whoops, forgot a bit!

So the one locking wheel bolt has sheared and the part that the provided lock key fits into just spins ?

I'd probably ask Kwik Fit to see if they can get it off for you without damaging the wheel or the thread into the hub, if they can I'd then take it to a local Citroen dealer (I've assumed they're OEM parts) and see what they think. Do you have the spare wheel bolts ?
    sigpic

Comment

I had exactly the same issue after my local tyre place replaced the tyre. In the end I had to get someone to chisel the spinning part off the bolt and then using a reverse threaded socket to remove the bolt (which he luckily managed to do without damaging the wheel) - and the tyre place admitted liability and paid the bill. Apparently the only other option would have been drilling out the whole bolt which poses a bigger thread of damage to the wheel. I have now replaced all the locking bolts with tougher ones with a better locking design to avoid potential repetition of the problem - the OEM bolts are notoriously soft and prone to problems.
      Hope you get yours sorted out soon!

Comment

Working...
      X