This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping Clutch symptoms but only in 6th

Driving along the M25 in 6th at 65mph and accelerated to pass a truck, at about 3000rpm I noticed a blip rise in rpm (on the tachometer) for only a second accompanied by a change in engine note, the car continued to accelerate smoothly.

Funny thing is it only did this in 6th at around 3000rpm, after I came off the motorway I booted it away from the lights and all seemed well in the other gears.

I recreated it a number of times but its like a blip.

Anybody observed this before?

Not heard of that before, have you got it booked in?
    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Is your motor a diesel? I had similar problem in a C4 which I had remapped. It was due to the increased torque on the dual mass flywheel.

Comment

Nah SfG has a petrol DS3, I've not heard of this either before, in my past experience I tended to notice clutch slippage in lower gears not the highest one
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
          Nah SfG has a petrol DS3, I've not heard of this either before, in my past experience I tended to notice clutch slippage in lower gears not the highest one
          Exactly, cant be a slipping clutch. Im taking it out in a minute so il see how it is this morning.

Comment

Ok, this deffo not a slipping clutch, game it a good beasting through gears 1 - 3 and no hint of slipping.

Comment

No sign of hesitation or juddering at all?
              cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                No sign of hesitation or juddering at all?
                Nope, power delivery is as normal. All very strange.

Comment

Possible air leak?
                  cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Strange that it only happened on the return leg of a journey and in 6th at around 65-70 mph. Il have to take a drive out to and see if I can recreate again and video the rev counter.

Comment

Does it feel like an electronic jitter ? Like the ECU is having a fart in that particular scenario ?
                      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like clutch slip to me, like with diesels these can slip in high gears with high torque output cars. @3000rpm your right in the middle of your peak torque....put money on it
                        White on red THP
                        Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

I think it's the early stages of clutch failure. If the revs are rising momentarily with no corresponding increase in speed there can't really be any other cause that I can think of.

When the clutch went on my Peugeot 405 the first symptom I noticed was slip at motorway speeds in 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                            Sounds like clutch slip to me, like with diesels these can slip in high gears with high torque output cars. @3000rpm your right in the middle of your peak torque....put money on it
                            Thing is Jamie I gave it some welley around her this morning and no suggestion of slip in 1st to 3rd. When it happened in 6th I wasn't flooring it, just accelerating.

Comment

Try this:

Car stationary, handbrake firmly on, put it in 2nd gear, clutch down, hold the revs at around 3,000 & release the clutch gently. If the clutch is OK, the engine will stall immediately.

Comment

Working...
                              X