Chain rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain rattle

Hi guys. Ever since i bought the car and was reading here the horor stories i was afraid of the dreaded chain rattle. My Ds3 is the thp model made in february 2011. I bought it second hand 2 years ago. The first winter i heard the first rattle and in the summer it was okay. In about december last year i heard the rattle again, then it was quiet till february this year when was in czech republic 600 km away from home and it wasnt a pleasant ride home. It was rattly 2 days ago, yesterday i havent riden the car and i was hoping it will be okay and the rattle greeted me today again. Im really worried . Im also having some oil usage problems. Im taking it to the shop next week. Do you think its safe to drive ? It only happens on a cold start. Its so strange that the rattles were so far apart for so long. The sound is 90% the same as on this mini cooper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6E_BBV_REs . Im just loosing my mind because i really dont have the spare money for the chain replacement right now. I doubt that citroen will give me good will because i missed my interval this year in (january. but still have 5000 km till service) and its not in waranty anymore. Besides that i love my car but i dont wanna sell it to buy another car and i dont have the heart to sell to some unlucky guy a time bomb.

Jero, it sounds very much the same as mine. It seems to rattle more in the winter, but fine in the summer
    I told them about it 15 month ago, and even showed them a video. They said don't worry bout it, as could be the chain lubing up

Mine goes after about 2 minutes, drive at low revs and go thru gears quick.

However the warmer weather is coming and my rattle still there, although for me there is 11 month warranty left so not bothered

I've heard a lot of THPs making rattly noises, and they've never had a timing chain issue. MylastTHP 150 was a lot rattlier, and didn't bother me to be honest, but that was in warranty to.

It may be chain stretch, or tensioner failing

Let Citroen have a look, pay if needed, and if they say its fine, get that said in an email.
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Im taking it in next week for the regular service and i will say it and show the video i posted here. When it rattles i dont drive till it stops. Im just worried the chain might pop. The other problem is, that i live in a really small country where they didnt sold a lot of DS3 and most of other citroens are diesels. The last time i went there to buy oil because of the consumption, i asked the mechanic about oil usage and he looked clueless and said i should probably put in 0w-30 (if i recall corectly) and it shouldnt drink so much and he started preaching about "sporty engines, bla bla bla, that i probably dont warm it up before reving it and things alike that, esentialy blaming me for everything. Im just afraid of the "everything is okay, the rattle is normal " excuse. Well ill report back if anything changes and certainly after i drive it to the garage.

Comment

Maybe they will take more interest this time, as they should quote you a price for any repair before they do it

Yes- I remember your oil issue. Not good.

Mine used 1litre of oil first year, then no oil second year. It depends on how you drive. Put cardboard under engine overnight to see if it is leaking. Oil can only be burnt, or lost.(leak) Simple as that

How many miles on the odometer
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

About 48 500 km ( 30 000 miles) its using 0,1 liter per 1000 km so in between a service interval (20 000km) i need to top up 2 bottles of oil. On the slovenian citroen forum a user was saying he has the same oil consumption but he has the vti. And i always if i can, put in the premium fuel.

Comment

That doesn't sound really bad oil use
            2litres for around 13,000 miles

A bit high, but not awful

If you drive the THP hard, it does use a bit of oil...
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

I dont rev it over 3000 till it hits the operating temperature. I never went on a track and i dont always floor it cause gas isnt so cheep Well lets hope for the best.

Comment

2000 revs till temperature hits dead centre, is best
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                X