Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I change the chip in my key & fob - will the old key still start the engine? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I change the chip in my key & fob - will the old key still start the engine? HELP!

Hi,

My car keys have been stolen & it is too expensive to go down the route of changing the locks. My keys were stolen from my house so the thief knows where my car is. I have been told that I could just get the chip within my fob and key changed, then the old key (which was stolen) wouldn't open my car or even start the engine - is this true?

I need to act quickly as I'm worried about it being stolen. Unfortunately I can't go through my insurance as my excess is too high

I would assume if you get new keys from the dealer they have to be recoded to match the car. I would guess they can recode the car so the old keys no longer work at the same time. I doubt it would be cheap though.

Bigfeet will be able to confirm/correct this I'm sure.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

If the key/ecu can be recoded that should stop the car being started but surely the key would still open the door ? Don't know perhaps I'm being to old fashioned ?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
        If the key/ecu can be recoded that should stop the car being started but surely the key would still open the door ? Don't know perhaps I'm being to old fashioned ?
        Ah yeah, I didn't think of that... Slightly better than them being able to drive away though I guess.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

I honestly don't know mate, maybe the locks look for the key code before they work - sounds a little OTT but I suppose it's possible :confused:
          sigpic

Comment

Physical key will still work, you'll end up setting the alarm off though (if you have one).

I had to change all my locks and keys when I was burgled a few years back and the guys stole nothing but my keys -_-
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Working...
            X