Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine 'break-in' period

Hello,
    I wanted to ask for how long did you do the break-in of the engine and how did you drive yoru ds3?

I own a DS3 THP and the Citroen dealer insisted that for the first 2,500km (I live in Cyprus hence the kilometers,its about 1500miles) i should run the engine smooth and change gear at around 2700-3000rpm, taking it smoothly. I've done that already i have the car since Octomber and i thought now is time for a bit of fun and high revving. I call the dealer to ask if the engine break in period was over so that i can drive the car however i would like to, but they told me its too early to do that and i should continue the break-in until i reach 6,000km and i should keep changing gears at around 3000-3200rpm. The dealer also insisted that this is very important for the DS3 engine and i should do it in order to prevent any future problems with my engine.

It will take me about one year to do that kilometers and also am looking forward for a few full throttle accelerations to enjoy the car's power.

Any comments-advice?

I normally advise customers to keep things easy for the first 1,500 miles to allow the engine to bed down properly and allow the oil to fully lubricate everything. I would say that you would be fine to open the taps a little.

The only thing is that the warranty guidelines may be different to what we have here in the UK, best thing to do would be to check with Citroen direct.

When you do open her up make sure that the grin on your face is from ear to ear!
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I have the 1.6Hdi 90 hp and have driven mine reasonably hard since new, only thing I don't do is to try to get it to max revs, its not necessary and places unnecessary stress on the engine for no gain.
      Can't comment about the THP though as I haven't had a petrol engine in years, but am sure that there are plenty on here with that motor and they will know better

Comment

Thrashed the a*se off mine (but not if my dealer is reading this!)

Jimbob

Comment

This is definitely worth a read and it is seriously interesting. My Bro in Law broke in his motorbike engine this way and it runs an absolute treat!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Kenjikojo View Post
            This is definitely worth a read and it is seriously interesting. My Bro in Law broke in his motorbike engine this way and it runs an absolute treat!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
            Looks like I got it right

Jimbob

Comment

That does make for interesting reading...
              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
              Bigfeet's File Repository
              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
                Thrashed the a*se off mine (but not if my dealer is reading this!)

Jimbob
                Exactly the same, read the same advice Kenji posted a few years back and have always done the same with any new bikes with no faults.
                cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Took it easy with mine for the first 1000 miles or so. Kept the revs under 4000 and a light throttle. Once over that I slowly opened it up for the next 1000 miles but never to the redline or full throttle. Once over the 2000 mile mark then go for it!!!

Comment

i drove mine smooth for the first 500-600 Miles although Dealer said I could give it the beans from 0.

After 600 miles i gave it even more welly. No problem with the engine so far and drives a treat

Comment

Yeah Me The Same, I Wheel Spun Mine Off The Forecourt XD

Thrashed It From Day 1

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                        Yeah Me The Same, I Wheel Spun Mine Off The Forecourt XD

Thrashed It From Day 1
                        And you wonder why it's broken

Comment

Ah Its All Good Fun :L

Comment

Indeed

Comment

Had a C2 VTS from new, ran it hard from day 1, got to over 110,000 with no engine problems, then sold it

It never missed a beat, and my friend who had an identical C2, said his felt less powerful.

Comment

Working...
                              X