No announcement yet.

Will any old space saver do for a DS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will any old space saver do for a DS3?

Hi

I've got my eye on a 4 stud Ford Focus space saver wheel with a 125/80/R15 tyre. I know the tyre spec is the same for a DS3 (as a spare wheel) but will the stud bolt hole size, or indeed the space between the studs, on the focus wheel be the same to fit my DS3?

Should I buy it or not?
    Last edited by hrdirector; 10-03-2011, 16:29.

No Idea Without More Specs ?

Why Don't You Get A Citroen One From Your Dealer / John Nicol ?...

Comment

The focus wheel pcd 4 * 108 is correct but the centre bore is 63.3 wheras the centre bore on the ds3 is 65.1 so won't fit.....found the info on the webby btw.
      Been looking myself and your best bet is looking for other citroen/Peugeot model space savers. If i have to i'll just get one from the dealer but would prefer the cheaper route lol
      Last edited by studly; 09-03-2011, 19:39.
      Suzuki Rgv 250, Cruddy Corsa, Cruddy Astra, 56 Corsa D, 09 Fiesta Mk7, 59 Fiesta Mk7, 10 Swift Sport, 11 DS3 Hdi White Edition >> 61 DS3 e-Hdi Dstyle Plus Sport Yellow with corroding bellone's as standard<<

Comment

Originally posted by studly View Post
        The focus wheel pcd 4 * 108 is correct but the centre bore is 63.3 wheras the centre bore on the ds3 is 65.1 so won't fit.....found the info on the webby btw.
        Been looking myself and your best bet is looking for other citroen/Peugeot model space savers. If i have to i'll just get one from the dealer but would prefer the cheaper route lol
        Thanks for quick reply Studly. That's just what I feared! So maybe I should to stick to looking at second hand ones specific for DS3 or could I look further afield (C2s?)? Interested to know how you sourced that info on the webby. Any idea how I can tell if I try and buy a second hand one off Ebay?

I hope gar074 bought the correct bore size when he got his?

Zack - Yes I tried John already and he has been very helpful but what with postage costs there's not much in it buying from him as opposed to local dealership (when they can be bothered to get back to you).
        Last edited by hrdirector; 09-03-2011, 19:51. Reason: typos. Need some new spec me thinks!

Comment

I can tell you that a C2 spare WILL NOT fit into the DS3 spare wheel well, at least not sitting flat under the floor mat................Been there, read the book, seen the movie

Also tried the spare from a C3, same problem, basically the rim is too wide
          Last edited by John S; 09-03-2011, 20:00.

Comment

Originally posted by john55810uk View Post
            I can tell you that a C2 spare WILL NOT fit into the DS3 spare wheel well, at least not sitting flat under the floor mat................Been there, read the book, seen the movie

Also tried the spare from a C3, same problem, basically the rim is too wide
            Thanks for the info John. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Comment

Bloody Shitroen !

Comment

Reason I asked earlier how you managed to find that centre bore hole info out from the web is because I also have my eye on a Rover/MG space saver with same tyre spec as for DS3, but now need to look closer at centre bore hole size. BTW why does the PCD have to be 4 x 108? What is the significance of this? Can you please enlighten this igneramous (doubt if I got that spelling right either)

Comment

PCD is Pitch Circle Diameter, basically if it ain't right the bolt holes won't line up

Comment

Are you only after the spare?
                    If you are wanting the whole kit, jack, box etc. then John Nicol was £10 cheaper than price quoted by my dealer!

Sorry £100!

Comment

As has been mentioned by john55810uk if the pcd isn't correct the bolt holes won't match up to the hub. With the bore size smaller than the hub it's a definate no go anyway but you can get away with a bigger bore size on the wheel but i wouldn't recommend it without using a fitting kit to reduce the bore diameter so it fits snugly on the hub. Another point to note is the offset ie a bigger value will mount the wheel further inside the wheel arch and the opposite for a smaller value, it's generaly more important for fitting aftermarket alloys rather than the skinny spacesavers.
                      Have a look Here for some info on pcd's/bore and offsets for various makes of cars.
                      Last edited by studly; 09-03-2011, 23:24.
                      Suzuki Rgv 250, Cruddy Corsa, Cruddy Astra, 56 Corsa D, 09 Fiesta Mk7, 59 Fiesta Mk7, 10 Swift Sport, 11 DS3 Hdi White Edition >> 61 DS3 e-Hdi Dstyle Plus Sport Yellow with corroding bellone's as standard<<

Comment

Originally posted by hrdirector View Post
                        I hope gar074 bought the correct bore size when he got his?

Yep - there are a few other models (eg some of the Peugeots) that use the same-sized skinny as the DS3. I just got lucky & found a good match on eBay.

if the pcd isn't correct the bolt holes won't match up to the hub. With the bore size smaller than the hub it's a definate no go but you can get away with a bigger bore size on the wheel but i wouldn't recommend it without using a fitting kit to reduce the bore diameter so it fits snugly on the hub.

You've got it spot on, studly. The pcd is pretty obvious, as the bolt-holes won't line up to the hub, but people tend to overlook the fact that the hub size is also really important. If the bore size (the hole in the centre of the wheel) is too small, the wheel won't fit on the hub. If it's too big, all the weight, strain, etc, is taken by the wheel-bolts instead of the hub. The bolts aren't designed to take that kind of load, so you risk ending up with a Zack-type-wheel-rolling-off-down-the-motorway-by-itself kind of situation.

Beats me why there's no standardisation of wheel-fitment specs. it would make life much easier for anyone buying replacement wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by gar074 View Post
                          The bolts aren't designed to take that kind of load, so you risk ending up with a Zack-type-wheel-rolling-off-down-the-motorway-by-itself kind of situation
                          Hahahahahahaha !

Comment

Sorry mate, couldn't resist.

Console yourself that your 3-wheeled antics have assured your legendary status on this forum, full member or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Lady DS3 View Post
                              Are you only after the spare?
                              If you are wanting the whole kit, jack, box etc. then John Nicol was £10 cheaper than price quoted by my dealer!

Sorry £100!
                              Hi Lady DS3

Thx but John's quote for everything (including delivery) totalled £154.42 but at this rate (with all the pitfalls of buying a non citroen wheel with the wrong centre bore hole size or PCD) I may have to bite the bullet on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X