Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 Engine Fault?

Hi All,

I'm having some issues, When i start my car i get an engine fault message come up on the trip computer and a warning light on the dash, the radiator fan also kicks in as soon as its turned on (but goes off shortly after).

It ran out of coolant last week and overheated causing me to break down, had it looked at and the thermostat housing was replaced yesterday and was fine but this morning same issue, warning lights and fan kicked in when starting the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by altair1191; 24-07-2015, 06:54.

Did you catch the exact warning message ? When you drive the car does it feel down on power ?

Also, what engine is it ?
    sigpic

Comment

"Engine Fault" flashes then it goes away and thats it. The warning light on the rev counter stays though. It seems to drive fine, i cant really notice any issues while driving.

I think the engine is a 1.6 vti 120 but im not 100%

Comment

Originally posted by altair1191 View Post
        "Engine Fault" flashes then it goes away and thats it. The warning light on the rev counter stays though. It seems to drive fine, i cant really notice any issues while driving.

I think the engine is a 1.6 vti 120 but im not 100%
        Actually i think it's the 110, but honestly i have nooo idea.

Comment

Actually i think it's the 110, but honestly i have nooo idea.
          Probably worth finding out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_ View Post
            Probably worth finding out.
            2011 Citroen DS3 Dstyle Plus, 1598CC Petrol, 3DR, Manual, it's that. Does that help at all?

Comment

When did you buy the car? Do you still have warranty with the dealership at all? (If purchased through a dealership)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_ View Post
                When did you buy the car? Do you still have warranty with the dealership at all? (If purchased through a dealership)
                Just over two years ago, I don't have warranty unfortunately.

Comment

2011 Citroen DS3 Dstyle Plus, 1598CC Petrol, 3DR, Manual, it's that. Does that help at all?
                  It's the 120 VTi then. Common fault on them is the temp sensor breaking. If you've already replaced that then I'm not sure. If it's driving ok then could it be they just forgot to reset the code after fixing?

Either way, definitely worth getting the code read.
                  - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                  - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                    It's the 120 VTi then.
                    Ahh right okay, thank you. I though it was but wasn't 100%

Comment

Okay thanks,

It seems to drive fine the only thing i notice that is different is when i start the engine it seems to vibrate more than normal if that makes sense, then the radiator fan comes on. Other than that i can't really notice anything different when driving it seems fine.

Comment

If your radiator fluid is topped up my money is on your temp sensor as BeefMasta suggested.

If this isn't working correctly, the ECU will think the engine is running hotter than it is and the fans will kick in to help cool it down.
                        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                          If your radiator fluid is topped up my money is on your temp sensor as BeefMasta suggested.

If this isn't working correctly, the ECU will think the engine is running hotter than it is and the fans will kick in to help cool it down.
                          That would make sense, the fan kicks from start even when the engine is stone cold. It also had an issue a few weeks ago when the temp sensor would go to max and say "stop engine fault" but after about 20 seconds it would go back to normal and it kept doing it, however the engine was fine..

As i said the thermostat housing was replaced yesterday to no avail, so im hoping it's something simple like a sensor!

Thanks for the assistance

Comment

That would make sense, the fan kicks from start even when the engine is stone cold. It also had an issue a few weeks ago when the temp sensor would go to max and say "stop engine fault" but after about 20 seconds it would go back to normal and it kept doing it, however the engine was fine..

As i said the thermostat housing was replaced yesterday to no avail, so im hoping it's something simple like a sensor!

Thanks for the assistance
                            The symptoms you're describing sound familiar. Mine did that! (Also a 120 vti) However, I think the temperature sensor is part of the thermostat housing (someone will be along in a minute to correct me if I'm wrong!) so, if you've had that replaced, I'm not sure what is happening.

Dodgy new sensor?

It needs looking at.
                            Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              The symptoms you're describing sound familiar. Mine did that! (Also a 120 vti) However, I think the temperature sensor is part of the thermostat housing (someone will be along in a minute to correct me if I'm wrong!) so, if you've had that replaced, I'm not sure what is happening.

Dodgy new sensor?

It needs looking at.
                              Oh really, how did yours get resolved?

Comment

Working...
                              X