Front Trolley Jack Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Trolley Jack Point

What it the best place to use as a lifting point under the front if using a trolley jack?

Thanks

I have a rubber block on my jack and use the normal jacking point. Just make sure you are not jacking on the plastic sill.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
      I have a rubber block on my jack and use the normal jacking point. Just make sure you are not jacking on the plastic sill.
      Ive never even had the side up so not used any of the jacking points, so is there a dedicated point under the front?

Comment

There is - if you look behind the sill there is a point where the metal has a distinct change (hard to describe really) but is obvious when you see it. I use a trolley jack there too. Just never catch the sill!
        I bet Cyclops comes back and says "It's in the handbook."

JB

Comment

Here are the jacking points SfG

Jacking points from DS3 Manual_2013_GB by Chris Baker, on Flickr
          sigpic

Comment

Think there is a mark on the sill lining up with it - like a little arrow.

JB

Comment

It is in the handbook Dad, I looked it up when I painted my calipers as I was worried about the trolley jack on the car (like SfG)
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks gents, its for when I swap out the front sill, need a bit more room to get my beard under

Comment

Ha ha does it end up being covered in car detritis ?
                  sigpic

Comment

As other people have said, don't try to jack it up from non-jack points.
                    I thought it might be okay to jack up between the jack points, still have the metal fold in the jack slit. Bad idea, slightly bent metal fold under the car now.

Must ONLY be jacked up by the 4 designated jack points. They are reinforced, other areas are not.
                    And don't jack it up from the engine, gearbox or subframe (front or back) like my ex-mechanic tried to convince me to. Can cause a bit of damage doing that.

Some cars have a designated middle front/rear jack point. These do not.

see some more details info from the service manual:
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6X...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

When using the trolley jack. I also put a bit of wood where the jack hits the jacking point, then crushes a bit, just to stop the metal on metal grating
                      Then axle stands under the front axle in case of failure, when working under the car
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

As I mentioned in the OP, I am using a trolley jack rather than the jack that comes with the car.

Under the car, just accessible by a medium size jack (And having full travel of the handle) there is a raised portion of the chassis, this appears strengthened at the front and back. I used some wood and jacked at that point, no issues at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X