Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of front end grip

hi all,
    as the title suggests, lost front end grip in light rain going around a round about at less than 15mph. (had just pulled onto it).
    tyres still have 5mm thread and have no issuses when driving back home.
    (currently in coventry), not a one off. I had assumed i drove over some oil, but its still does the same 300 miles later.

anyone had similar issues?

Depends how heavy footed you were I guess, I can quite easily wheel spin my THP in 1st in the wet.

Did your traction control light come on?
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by MadMan0 View Post
      hi all,
      as the title suggests, lost front end grip in light rain going around a round about at less than 15mph. (had just pulled onto it).
      tyres still have 5mm thread and have no issuses when driving back home.
      (currently in coventry), not a one off. I had assumed i drove over some oil, but its still does the same 300 miles later.

anyone had similar issues?
      Is the ESP light flashing when the wheels spin? If not, you could have an ESP fault.
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I never drive with ESP on, I can wheel spin in any gear, although in the rain it can be more awkward being FWD, my old 110hdi was never as bad due to the big block weighing more and reduced power

I agree with Dangerous Fish, if not that I have no idea... Perhaps newly lasted roads, different compounds? Are they new tyres (different make or style), any mods etc?
        - Challenge Accepted -

Comment

I'm not aware of any aftermarket anti roll bars you can get and you haven't installed adjustable dampers by any chance?(That would be a whole other discussion) So about the only thing you can try happens to be the easiest and that is. From the factory specified tire pressure of 2.4 bar try lowering the front to 2.3 and raising the back to 2.5. Might try another 0.1bar after you see how that feels.

What you are trying to do is increase the roll stiffness in the back a bit and decrease it at the front a bit. By doing that you change the dynamic balance which in this case gives the car more grip at the front and less in the rear.
          Originally posted by cyclone
          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
          Originally posted by Broda
          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

THIS....applies to UK too
            Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

I've found that my old Dsport on OEM tyres tended to under steer in the damp on islands if pushed, not put my new Dsport plus to the test yet.
              DS3 1.6 Bluehdi Dsport Plus :STrooper:

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
                The car is standard suspension and tyre wise. I was driving with an eco mindset so very light footed at the time. Really took me off guard when it happened.
                The problem only seemed to have been temporary, and only on the roads in and around Coventry. Once home in London I had no issues. It could just be the road surface used is rubbish in the wet, though I haven't seen anyone else have problems, hence my question.

Comment

All this talk of traction control and various light flickering on the dash. Pfft.

Comment

Get better tyres, biggest thing to help

Comment

Sounds like a road surface issue rather than a tyre issue. Was it dry for a long period and recently rained? This would leave a very slippery and greasy surface, especially on roundabouts.

Cooks

Comment

Originally posted by Broda View Post
                        I never drive with ESP on, I can wheel spin in any gear
                        Whatever

Comment

Working...
                        X