Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing plastic chrome Rear Window Trim

Hi all!

Due to pickup my new DS3 in the very near future, hopefully on saturday. On my current DS3 (2012) I added the rear light chrome trims and the strip under the rear window. Just wondering whether it's possible to remove said window strip without causing any damage to the paintwork or trim? Would quite like to have it on the new model! It was applied with the foam pad adhesive strips which came with it, so maybe a hair dryer would soften the glue...? No idea but looking for any thoughts advice you guys may have

Thank you in advance!
    Katie

I imagine a hair dryer and dental floss would work, then some tar remover to clean up the glue afterwards. You'd need a fresh sticky strip or pads to apply it to your new car though.
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Ahh, thank you sounds like a plan! Here's hoping I don't make a hash of it!

Comment

Yeah, hair dryer and patience

Just an idea, but might be worth easing away with something like floss, means you can get a pull from behind it then rather than causing pressure if it bends when you pull it from the front by hand. Also something easy to peel away like tracing paper/baking paper to slot in behind the area you have done. This way by the time you get to the other end, the bit you started with hasn't affixed itself to the car again

Edit - Wenham said floss
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

I wouldn't bother using heat - just the suggested dental floss or thin fishing line, then remove the residue with white spirit.

Your local car accessory shop will sell double-sided tape that you can use to stick it onto your new car.

Comment

My rear light surrounds where stuck really well with the pads provided. When I took them off after I'd sold my first ds3 it broke in about 5 pieces because it was held on so well.

Could always try without heat, if it feels stuck firm then warm it up.
            My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Good shout on the baking paper! Will try and give this a shot tomorrow then...perfectly normal to 'treat' your car to a floss and blow dry in the middle of the street right?! :P

Thank you lovely people!

Comment

Originally posted by KjG View Post
                Good shout on the baking paper! Will try and give this a shot tomorrow then...perfectly normal to 'treat' your car to a floss and blow dry in the middle of the street right?! [emoji14]

Thank you lovely people!
                Perfectly normal!
                My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

To be honest with you the hassle of removing the old one compared to the cost of a new part I would opt for a new one.
                  ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                  Bigfeet's File Repository
                  The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                    To be honest with you the hassle of removing the old one compared to the cost of a new part I would opt for a new one.
                    You're making more money than me then. £45 for a new part or 5 mins work... I know which I'd choose.
                    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                      You're making more money than me then. £45 for a new part or 5 mins work... I know which I'd choose.
                      Lol! Depends on where you get from

The thing is that the part isn't the strongest item so could be easy to break or warp.
                      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                      Bigfeet's File Repository
                      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                        Lol! Depends on where you get from

The thing is that the part isn't the strongest item so could be easy to break or warp.
                        Be gentle with the floss and all will be well
                        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                          Be gentle and all will be well
                          wheaaaa
                          Originally posted by cyclone
                          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                          Originally posted by Broda
                          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

[QUOTE=Bigfeet;204980]Lol! Depends on where you get from

So, where would you get one for under £45? I'm interested to know because I fancied the strip but can't stretch to £45 at the mo and my bargain hunting radar hasn't been to locate one any cheaper.
                            "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
                            https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Removed it just using floss, simple as! no bending or stress on the part at all ��Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	359777Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	359778

Comment

Working...
                              X