X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car shaking and feels like it's going to stall when i idling

Hi,

Car: DS3 DSport THP

So, this seems to be getting worse and worse and it's mainly when the engine is cold but still happens at normal temperatures.

When idling, the car whole car shakes pretty bad though the revs seem to hold steady. This morning when i was warming the car up i was tapping the accelerator and as the revs fell the car shaked really bad and it felt like the car was almost going to stall! This time the rev dropped pretty low and took a second to recover to the normal RPM.

Not sure if it's related but the exhaust splutters a lot too, like it's misfiring.

I've got it scheduled in with Kidlington for next week (Unfortunately, the garage a few minutes from my house no longer do diagnostics on Citroen cars due to them no longer selling them!)

Any ideas on what this could be? Not sure if it's misfiring or whether it could be the high-pressure fuel pump? Any other checks you think i could do?

The car has 36k on the clock and i've only had it a month. It's already been in for a timing chain replacement!

Power does seem down. Takes ages for boost to kick in... On top of that at random times my clutch does this:

Any help would be appreciated.

The engine issue could be carbon build up or HPFP or a combination of both. I suspect 36k would be enough for significant carbon deposits to form, some have shown signs and symptom at less than half that millage.

When I had my car walnut blasted, I hadn't realised how much power had drained away over time, I then had the HPFP replaced and again noticed an improvement in power delivery and idle smoothness.

Comment

Thanks for your comment. I'm going to see what Hartwell can find. If they do replace the HPFP i doubt it will be under warranty though. Even though I've had it for 1 month and they give you a 3 month used car warranty I doubt that covers much.

As for the carbon build up on the intakes I'd have to take it up to Jamie as SPTuning for that. I'm looking into him doing a few mods for me anyway. He might be kind enough to go over the car to see if anything else needs looked into!

Comment

Originally posted by DannyDS3DS View Post
        As for the carbon build up on the intakes I'd have to take it up to Jamie as SPTuning for that. I'm looking into him doing a few mods for me anyway. He might be kind enough to go over the car to see if anything else needs looked into!
        Speak to Jamie ref the HPFP, he replaced my original 2010 unit with the latest mini variant (i think from the JCW), I had received a fault code for low fuel pressure which along with the uneven idling made me think it was the HPFP, not had either since so I'm thinking it was the culprit. He should be able to fit in a map and walnut blast into a single day (depending on how bad the build up is) which changes a THP into a completely different beast.

Mine is mapped with a pipecross filter, a walnut blast and a Milltech exhaust and the thing flys, embarrassed an Audi TT driver a couple of months ago as we both came off a roundabout

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
          Speak to Jamie ref the HPFP, he replaced my original 2010 unit with the latest mini variant (i think from the JCW), I had received a fault code for low fuel pressure which along with the uneven idling made me think it was the HPFP, not had either since so I'm thinking it was the culprit. He should be able to fit in a map and walnut blast into a single day (depending on how bad the build up is) which changes a THP into a completely different beast.

Mine is mapped with a pipecross filter, a walnut blast and a Milltech exhaust and the thing flys, embarrassed an Audi TT driver a couple of months ago as we both came off a roundabout
          Sounds good! I've never heard a bad thing about SPTuning so I'm looking forward to taking it down. How's the Milltech exhaust sound!? I couldn't find too many videos online showing it unfortunately!

Comment

I don't have anything helpful to say, but you must be fairly local to me if you're taking it to Hartwell in Kidlington Other than not telling me I'd be charged for things I asked for when mine went in for its MOT (£25 to swap my wheels front to back!!!) they're pretty good.

Hope it gets sorted
            Current: DS 3 Performance, Perla Nera Black with Sparkly Purple roof
            Previous: DS3 DStyle 120 VTi, Perla Nera Black with Fuchsia roof

Comment

Sounds good! I've never heard a bad thing about SPTuning so I'm looking forward to taking it down. How's the Milltech exhaust sound!? I couldn't find too many videos online showing it unfortunately!
              It sounds nice at idle, a bit deeper and ever so slightly louder than before. Upto about 3000rpm is has a deep booming sound but once the turbo is in it sounds altogether different, meaner and definitely more free revving. Nice pops and rumble on over run as well. Bigger and wider wheels going on this time, 18" 225s all round .

Comment

Sounds good! I've never heard a bad thing about SPTuning !
                In the winter,his waiting room is cold :-(

Sounds like when my HPFP went, but may well be a few things. Timing chain again, injectors, even ECU up duff
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                  In the winter,his waiting room is cold :-(

Sounds like when my HPFP went, but may well be a few things. Timing chain again, injectors, even ECU up duff
                  New heater installed now, toastie!!
                  White on red THP
                  Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Sounds like HPFP for sure...
                    White on red THP
                    Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

I've just had a similar issue with mine where in the mornings it spluttered and stalled, had it in the garage and then at the same time I got a call for a recall for the temperature censor, I was told this could explain the like of power as the car is not supplying enough fuel for the automatic choke when cold, as the car was thinking it was hot enough, it's been changed and no further problems, I am no mechanic but just thought I'd mention what was diagnosed with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Coreybops View Post
                        I've just had a similar issue with mine where in the mornings it spluttered and stalled, had it in the garage and then at the same time I got a call for a recall for the temperature censor, I was told this could explain the like of power as the car is not supplying enough fuel for the automatic choke when cold, as the car was thinking it was hot enough, it's been changed and no further problems, I am no mechanic but just thought I'd mention what was diagnosed with mine.
                        Thanks for this info Corey! What year is your DS3? This problem does persist more when cold so it may very well be the temp sensor. . Any info Citroen gave you on the recall which i could pass on to the garage?

Comment

Thanks for this info Corey! What year is your DS3? This problem does persist more when cold so it may very well be the temp sensor. . Any info Citroen gave you on the recall which i could pass on to the garage?
                          Mines a late 2012 model, the garage seemed to know about the issue and said they were going through a list, I've seen something on here once about a Citroen website where you can check if your car needs a recall, not quite sure how I stumbled across it, with mine when I started it, if I let it idle on its own the refs just slowly dropped away. I've got a sloping driveway and one day I couldn't get off it as there wasn't enough power, let it get warm and it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Coreybops View Post
                            I've seen something on here once about a Citroen website where you can check if your car needs a recall
                            http://www.citroenrecalls.co.uk/
                            - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                            - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                              Cheers, I forgot I signed up for this website. Mine still shows as "0 recalls" though. Not sure if that means my car 100% doesn't have any issues due to recalls though.

Comment

Working...
                              X