Front Lamp Bulb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Lamp Bulb Question

Is anybody running a combination of the following.

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER PLUS H1
    Osram Night Breaker Plus H7
    Philips WhiteVision W5W

If so, are they all roughly the same brightness and colour.
    Last edited by Superfly Guy; 23-10-2015, 16:43. Reason: People Not reading The Question

An interesting (if biased) article on Osram lightbulbs
    http://www.carlightblog.com/2014/03/...ert-interview/

Comment

I used to have the nightbreakers and thought they looked boss.

My only concern with them was how fast they died. I went through about two sets within the space of a couple of years back when I had mine and decided never to go back.

The issues I had however, could be symptomatic of the car. As per the site you linked to:

"To what extent does the vehicle itself impair the life of the lamps? Is there anything that can be done to improve things?
      An incorrect operating voltage, particularly one that is too high, can shorten the life of halogen lamps. If you suspect that the operating voltage in the vehicle is too high you should have it checked at a workshop. You cannot do anything about it yourself."
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
        I used to have the nightbreakers and thought they looked boss.

My only concern with them was how fast they died. I went through about two sets within the space of a couple of years back when I had mine and decided never to go back.

The issues I had however, could be symptomatic of the car. As per the site you linked to:

"To what extent does the vehicle itself impair the life of the lamps? Is there anything that can be done to improve things?
        An incorrect operating voltage, particularly one that is too high, can shorten the life of halogen lamps. If you suspect that the operating voltage in the vehicle is too high you should have it checked at a workshop. You cannot do anything about it yourself."
        That makes sense, mine have been on for around 2 years without issue, I have just ordered the Ultimate's (H1 + H7) plus some Philips White Vision W5W. Il need spares when I'm cutting around Europe either way, Pics to come once I'm home and they are fitted.

Comment

Since owning the car just under 1 year the first thing I bought was osram nightbreaker unlimited. Never had a problem with them. Only reason I picked the osram was they're cheaper than the Philips and I had them in my old car.

One died last week so bought a full set of spares.

You can't expect more brightness and still have the lifespan of oem bulbs. Ain't gonna happen. It even says so on the box.

At the end of the day with a bit of shopping around you can buy a full set for osram for under £30 as I just have last week. Its not gonna break the bank when it's once a year. My other three lights might still have plenty of life in them

Comment

Originally posted by gatesy0093 View Post
            Since owning the car just under 1 year the first thing I bought was osram nightbreaker unlimited. Never had a problem with them. Only reason I picked the osram was they're cheaper than the Philips and I had them in my old car.

One died last week so bought a full set of spares.

You can't expect more brightness and still have the lifespan of oem bulbs. Ain't gonna happen. It even says so on the box.

At the end of the day with a bit of shopping around you can buy a full set for osram for under £30 as I just have last week. Its not gonna break the bank when it's once a year. My other three lights might still have plenty of life in them
            Mine have been fine for over two years but there you go.

More importantly, how do your look compared to the Philips 12961NBVB2 WhiteVision Halogen side light Bulb W5W?

Comment

I have the Phillips extreme vision 130 no problem so far after nearly a year of use I work nights so use them twice a day 5 days a week,I think some of the longevity is how they are handled when they are put in

Comment

Originally posted by Markymark View Post
                I have the Phillips extreme vision 130 no problem so far after nearly a year of use I work nights so use them twice a day 5 days a week,I think some of the longevity is how they are handled when they are put in
                And how do they look alongside Osram Night Breakers?

Comment

I've never tried the osrams as always had bad reports over the longevity same as the previous Phillips extreme vision 100 seemed to have problems

Comment

Originally posted by Markymark View Post
                    I've never tried the osrams as always had bad reports over the longevity same as the previous Phillips extreme vision 100 seemed to have problems
                    Ok, I just wanted to know they look against the Osrams rather than anything else thanks.

Comment

Hi SFG,

I have just fitted Ring Ultima H1 and H7 120%( brighter white ) bulbs and so far I find them very satisfactory for early morning commutes to work. I was going to buy Bosch equivalents at Halfords but as these were not all available, bought the Ring bulbs at my local auto factors. Time will tell how reliable these are. Also my Canbus Error Free 501 sidelight LEDs have just arrived ,I shall fit these at the weekend and will report on the comparable whiteness and brightness of the LEDs versus the H1 and H7 bulbs.

JEZDS3.

p.s. Used a pair of disposable gloves when fitting the bulbs,did not touch them with bare hands.
                      Last edited by JEZDS3; 23-10-2015, 17:23.
                      LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JEZDS3 View Post
                        Hi SFG,

I have just fitted Ring Ultima H1 and H7 120%( brighter white ) bulbs and so far I find them very satisfactory for early morning commutes to work. I was going to buy Bosch equivalents at Halfords but as these were not all available, bought the Ring bulbs at my local auto factors. Time will tell how reliable these are. Also my Canbus Error Free 501 sidelight LEDs have just arrived ,I shall fit these at the weekend and will report on the comparable whiteness and brightness of the LEDs versus the H1 and H7 bulbs.

JEZDS3.

p.s. Used a pair of disposable gloves when fitting the bulbs,did not touch them with bare hands.
                        So do you have

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER PLUS H1
                        Osram Night Breaker Plus H7
                        Philips WhiteVision W5W

Alongside each other? If so how do they look?

Comment

Apologies, never tried that combination so I have no idea how it looks.As with all modifications I believe it is all a matter of personal preference and taste. However, uprated bulbs are definitely an improvement on original fitted bulbs.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JEZDS3 View Post
                            Apologies, never tried that combination so I have no idea how it looks.As with all modifications I believe it is all a matter of personal preference and taste. However, uprated bulbs are definitely an improvement on original fitted bulbs.
                            Cool, its the reason for the post, and the only thing I wanted to know, are the colours uniform, neither one too blue, white or yellow compared to the others.

Comment

The Ring Ultima bulbs are even and a pure white and colour spectrum does favour white rather than blue, I have only noticed a blue hint,these lights do not look yellow, whereas my standard fit original bulbs had the classic yellowy hue. Just need to compare these when I fit the LEDs tomorrow.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X