Strange clunk when setting off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange clunk when setting off

I'm 99% sure I've read something about this on here but can't find the thread anywhere!

Basically I've just got back from 2 weeks in America, I turned my engine on (13 plate 1.6 THP), took the handbrake off and I almost had to put more pressure than usual to set off, and when I did there was a clunk noise and it was fine, it's like something unstuck? Anyway my dads telling me to take it in but I'm sure I ssaw that it isn't a major issue?

It happens randomly every couple of months but this time was the hardest/loudest.

Can someone shed some light, thanks!

Brakes sticking. Usually happens after the car sits for a few days in the rain. If you've been away for 2 weeks and the car hasn't been moved then it doesn't surprise me.

The other thing you might notice is a bit of small rust build up on the brakes, a nice firm press of the brake pedal from 30 to 0mph (in a safe place) will clear it.

First time both of these happened to me I thought it was a bit strange but it's a characteristic of the car (as a dealer would say).
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Exactly what I wanted to hear BeefMasta, I'll do that, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedKez View Post
        Exactly what I wanted to hear BeefMasta, I'll do that, thank you!
        No worries, mine does it all the time because I usually don't use it much in the week.
        - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
        - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
          No worries, mine does it all the time because I usually don't use it much in the week.
          Can confirm, heard it on WTF's a few times. DS's arent big fans of the wet.
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Mine will do it most mornings in the colder wet weather.
            My DS3R3... nearly....
            New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Yeah mine does it when the weather has been damp and the discs/pads have been hot
              sigpic

Comment

My C3 Picasso Does It Too When I Haven't Used It For A Few Days.
                A Citroën Fanatic

CE14 C3 Picasso 1.6i VTi Exclusive EGS In Pearl White, With 17" Clover Alloy Wheels, Black Pack, Chrome Mirror Covers, Mudflaps, Wind Deflectors, Hand Controls & Steering Ball.
                CE11 WOH C3 1.6i VTi Exclusive Auto With 17” Sonneberg Alloy Wheels & Visability Pack.My Old Car.
                CA10 KZB C4 Picasso 2.0HDi 138BHP VTR+ EGS, Brothers Old Car.

Comment

Yeah. I was going to say it was the brake pads. Too.

Comment

Definately the brake pads sticking. It happens on mine after a few days with no movement. My VW R32 did it badly as well!!

Comment

I only take my car out a couple of times a week and, especially in this cold weather, it does it every time. It's the brakes sticking.
                      "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
                      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Rear brake pads sticking, not front. At least for me and only in cold weather, in the summer no problems. Using Greenstuff pads but had the same problem (if not worse) with OEM pads.

Comment

I've recently addressed this problem - brakes sticking on when the car's been stood for a few days. It seemed to me that the handbrake is very 'sloppy' when you pull it on allowing for it to be pulled quite high. Since I felt like I was yanking it out of the floor (even though I'm a limp-wristed wuss), I decided to test where it actually holds. This was nothing scientific, just me pulling it on a bit at a time and trying to drive off. Where it holds is where it holds, which was about 2 inches lower than it likes to come up. In conclusion, I now don't pull the handbrake as high and my brakes don't stick after a few days. Just one thing to note, I was always taught to leave my car in 1st gear with my wheels pointing into the curb when I park park, and also my drive is flat. Follow my advice at your own risk...
                          "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
                          https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Working...
                          X