Is this an important piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an important piece?

Anyone know what this screw is for? Found it lying loose under the bonnet when I opened it yesterday to top up washer fluid. Car was at the dealer the other week getting the engine temperature sensor replaced, is this likely to have been left off when they put it back together????

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0732_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	367864
    Attached Files
    Last edited by idgiecat; 14-12-2015, 12:35. Reason: bad pic

looks like a bleed screw for something.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
      looks like a bleed screw for something.
      Hmm I think you may be right, in fact looking at this diagram - http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...outlettank.jpg it may well be the engine water drain screw (item 09) . Question is (not being an expert) is this a part of the engine which I can easily access to check if the
      screw is completely missing or if having misplaced the screw the mechanic has put in a new one....

Comment

Originally posted by idgiecat View Post
        Question is (not being an expert) is this a part of the engine which I can easily access to check if the
        screw is completely missing or if having misplaced the screw the mechanic has put in a new one....
        If it's missing all the coolant will have drained out! Looks like it's just been misplaced & a new one fitted.

Comment

Yes. It looks like a radiator drain plug. Someone must have "lost" it there. As no doubt it hasn't come out or your radiator as you would have lost all the water a long time ago. Keep it for a spare.

Comment

The thermostat housing generally comes with a new one fitted.
            It would have been from the old unit.
            White on red THP
            Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Thanks guys - coolant levels are at full so its all good Its always a bit worrying when you find "spare" bits rattling around and don know where they should be!

Comment

Originally posted by idgiecat View Post
                Its always a bit worrying when you find "spare" bits rattling around and don know where they should be!
                One of the people I used to work with had the instincts of a true engineer - anything new & small enough to bring into the office was dismantled just to see how it worked. We'd slip an extra part into his pile of bits just to watch his consternation when he reassembled it & had something left over.

Comment

You are an evil man Dave.
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

My sense of humour though
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                      You are an evil man Dave.
                      Note that I said "we"! I was just led astray. . .

Comment

Working...
                      X