Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine light on/off on my DS3

Hi there,

I'm new here and I need some advice. I'm in the process of buying my 2nd DS3, on the test drive the engine light appeared on the dash. I questioned this to the salesman and he said it came on earlier that day, he said that he wouldn't sell me the car with the light on. I rang him last week to see if anyone has had a look at it and he said that the light has just disappeared and that I'm ok to take delivery. Has anyone had this before? Is this a serious problem? I don't want to part with any money unless I know the vehicle is safe to drive, I have long commutes and don't want to be caught out.

Welcome

What engine does it have?

Have they not looked into it to see what it could have been? Even plugging in to read any fault codes would be easy for them to do. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a car from them just because it hasn't come on again so I understand your concern! Even if it's an easy fix for them you need peace of mind that they at least looked into it. You're only going to end up back there is the fault does re-appear.

My first DS3 had an engine fault light come on re the Temp Sensor fault (I think, sold before I found out) and sure it would clear if I disconnected the battery and the light would go. But any amount of rapid acceleration I know would make the car go back into limp mode and the light come back on.
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

If it's gone off it's probably not a serious fault, bur it needs investigation. I'd insist that the fault codes be read & the cause identified before I'd buy the car.

Comment

What model is it ? If you can let us know engine type etc someone will be able to give you appropriate advice

Edit: Took too long to reply - at least we're consistent though I wouldn't buy a car with a fault that has just gone away....
        sigpic

Comment

I bought a car that had showed a fault during the test drive - it broke down. However, I was at a reputable dealer and the car seemed right so I said if it was sorted I'd have it (thinking that a repaired car was one jump ahead of one that might break down after the test drive). Worst car ever! My advice - if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. There are plenty of DS3s out there. Walk away (or run).
          "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
          https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

Comment

Got to have come from planet Zog if you buy a car with a warning light- even if its intermittent, and you have assurances..... yeah yeah. Drop it like a dead duck

Unless of course Ed China is your brother, and the car costs £100
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

But if you're looking to buy a duck that looks like a duck, buy that duck.

I sold my C2 with the engine light on and the front bumper not straight and the wheels were trashed. I'm glad they didn't test drive it.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for your response, sorry for my late reply I'm on a shift at the moment.

My car is a 110 1.6 HDi Dsport, it's only done 49,000 miles on a 10 plate,it might be carbon build up somewhere? I sent an email to the salesman saying that I don't feel confident buying the car unless they can guarantee me that the fault has been or will be cleared ( at their expense ). Got response saying that the AA Gold warranty that I will be taking out will cover this, I have access to a diagnostic kit myself (luckily) but just concerned that I might be taking on something that will be costly to repair and the warranty won't cover this And for it to come down to "wear and tear" .

Comment

Plenty of cars out there don't get fixated on a particular one.
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I haven't heard of carbon issues on the eHDi engines so far - I'd definitely stay away from it if I were you. Warranty's have a habit of not covering things you'd expect them too, as cyclone said there are a lot of second hand DS3's available - I'd look for a better example
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree, I'm seriously thinking of walking away from it. Funnily enough I've found another one that's better spec! just hoping if I go and buy this new one that I can get my deposit back! Thank you for your advice

Comment

I would advise the seller that the engine light is a major concern for you as you travel lots and need it to be 100% reliable.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket rocket View Post
                          I agree, I'm seriously thinking of walking away from it.
                          Don't think about it......
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket rocket View Post
                            Got response saying that the AA Gold warranty that I will be taking out will cover this,
                            Walk away; that speaks volumes about their attitude to their customers & the quality of the vehicles they are selling. Warranties are not intended to cover pre-existing faults

Comment

I've done the deed and sent an email stating that I'm not happy and will not go ahead with it. I also found out that the AA warranty wouldn't even cover it! with the small print stating that if the vehicle has a known fault before taking out the policy that they will not pay out for it! Thank you all for your advice I can safely say that I'm running for the hills on this one! Back on auto trader here I come...

Comment

Working...
                              X