Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP/ASR fault - £2200 bill???

Hi All,

My DS3 (110 diesel) threw a fault code a few months ago (esp/as fault - engine repair needed), went into limp mode but then cleared and when taken to a dealer was told it was a sensor fault and they 'calibrated the injectors'.

Well, 3 months on and its happened again, but this time is stuck in limp mode. Took it in today to my local dealer (Warners Cheltenham), and having taken a look at it they say one of the injectors is malfunctioning, but they cannot calibrate them again. Apparently the only fix is to replace all four injectors! All in they are saying that I'm looking at £2200!

Car is a 10 plate, and is on 45k miles. Not within warranty any more of course, but how can a car of that mileage require such drastic work? The parts can't be worn from that level of use, and it seems that this may be an acknowledged problem at Citroen - they said they had a specific card on the issue to follow, which clearly says they see this a lot.

They have suggested that I take it to one of their other garages that does warranty work and 'apply' to Citroen central to contribute to some of the cost.

Can anyone confirm that this is a known problem, because if it is then I'll be asking them to do more than contribute ........... they should cover all the work, as it is then a poor part quality or deign issue.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Toby

I've not seen this level of costs before and I don't recall seeing it reported as a common issue on the forum. Maybe others with diesels have a better memory than me

Sorry to hear this, keep us updated with what happens - good luck
    sigpic

Comment

Update. Took the car in to the sister garage and they rechecked the injectors. Turns out 3 of the four had 'shorted' and needed replacing. Car is just over 5 years old so doesn't qualify for full 'good-will' warranty work from Citroen, but they will cover the cost of the parts as it's under 6 years old.

So that leaves us with a £567 bill for labour, which is far better than the scary original estimate! Am getting them to replace all 4 as no point leaving one in there likely to have the same fault.

Only thing I don't know if what would cause this? How much is there onboard on the injectors that could go wrong? The garage suggested they are self-contained black boxes! What I don't want to do is fit new injectors and find there is an ECU somewhere that caused these ones to short!

Comment

Injectors are just solenoid-operated valves. I don't think ecu can short injectors - the other way around it could. Lucky that the ecu is not broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
          The garage suggested they are self-contained black boxes!
          Idiots spewing bullshit make me sigh.
          Originally posted by cyclone
          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
          Originally posted by Broda
          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I would suggest having the garage investigate a little further in the issue, one injector failing then yes I would let it go but we are talking about three. There must be in my mind a further issue going on that caused your problem, my first suggestion would be to have a full global test done to see if that throws up anything.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Few things you have been told are bullshit. I know for a fact injectors for a 110 bhp 1.6 diesel ds3 is £840 for 4 including vat. I know this as I plan on buying them to put in the 90 I have.

Also the ECU would not short the injectors!

I'm not sure how much Citroen charge for labour? But your looking at a maximum of £1500 all in. The ECU shouldn't need reprogrammed with the injector codes, they should be a direct swap
              I make cars go quicker then take photos of them.
              Genuine Alientech Kess V2 & K-Tag

Comment

Working...
              X