Help needed, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed, any ideas?

I have had my car for a year and a half. I bought it from Citroen and it was 4 years old. I have had none stop problems with it since having it and most have been fixed. Apart from this...my cars engine management light is on and also the abs light is on. It loses power randomly, the engine management light flashes and the car stops. When it is working it's still not right, it doesn't pull, it has no speed and it struggles in the top end of gear changes. Along with this, my fan doesn't work. Now I've been told it maybe something to do with the abs which is causing a shortage and this causes the loss of power. I have had an auto electrician check it and he said it was more than likely the abs. Had the abs unit sent off and looked at and they have said it isn't the abs unit. I am running out of ideas and this is becoming incredibly expensive.

Sorry if this is garbled, I'm not an expert myself, I'm just after ideas so I know what route could be tried next.

When you took the car to Citroen they should have read the fault codes from the ECU, do you have a note of what these were?

What model DS3 is it?
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I really do know how you feel mate. I ended up buying extended warranty for my DS3 THP DSport+, I was sick of mine going into the dealership for the last two years of its 3 year warranty, and knew it would need more work sooner rather than later. Thankfully I can say all issues were fixed and the car was in good running order when I traded her in.
      Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

it's a ds turbo sport. Not got a copy of the fault codes to be honest. Should I get them?

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow99 View Post
          it's a ds turbo sport. Not got a copy of the fault codes to be honest. Should I get them?
          The fault codes should tell you what components aren't performing correctly, I'm surprised Citroen didn't investigate this further and allowed you to drive away with the engine management light lit to be fair..

I assume a petrol one, so the THP?
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow99 View Post
            ....It loses power randomly, the engine management light flashes and the car stops. When it is working it's still not right, it doesn't pull, it has no speed and it struggles in the top end of gear changes. Along with this, my fan doesn't work.......

Sorry if this is garbled, I'm not an expert myself, I'm just after ideas so I know what route could be tried next.
            Welcome

I'm no expert myself, but this does sound very similar to the THP faults we have seen over the years - especially the no speed and lack of power.

Never heard of this being linked to abs though?

I'll await your reply to confirm it is a THP petrol as Dangerousfish asked

Just to clarify, when you say fan, do you mean engine fan?
            My DS3R3... nearly....
            New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Need those codes. The ABS light comes on for more things than just an abs failure. Sounds stupid to me but it is true. Happened to someone here a while back.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
              X