Stuttering engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering engine?

Hi all. I'm after some advice if possible.

Had my 1.6 hdi for 11 months now and it seems like the engine has started to stutter.
    I get a fair bit of feedback through my accelerator pedal when it does it and it sometimes has the effect of making the car bunny hop. There seems to be no pattern to when it does it or any particular gear but it's almost as if the car is running out of diesel. I always ensure my tank never drops below a quarter.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what it might be? A friend mentioned it may be a blocked filter but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to car maintenance.

Thanks

Could be a blocked fuel injector or a number of other little gremlins! Best thing is to pop into your local dealer and have them give the car a check over for you.

...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Thanks for your help Bigfeet76.

My car is due its annual service so I'll mention it then when i take it in. Trouble is its so intermittent that they probably won't be able to find anything wrong when its in.

Comment

Mine does the same. The car is almost undriveable for about 3 miles, shutters and stutters and feels low on power but if you keep your foot down it still goes well. I believe it is when the diesel particulate filter is being regenerated. When the filter is being renewed, the car dumps fuel into the exhaust to raise the temperature in the filter and burn off all the soot. Well, this is my understanding. I have been using the trip counter to monitor the distance between it happening. It seems to be about 600 miles between occurrences although it was only 300 miles last time! My dealer said the filter is renewed about every 500 miles and might vary a bit with driving style. Once I stopped shortly after it had happened and there was a smell of burning which is consistent with the filter renewal (burning off the soot). A friend also said he saw a puff of smoke out of the exhaust like old diesel cars when it happened. I think he was telling the truth! I think there was another thread on here several months ago saying the same thing. I'd obviously prefer it if it didn't happen and would like to know if the dealers can do anything but I don't think it's anything to worry about. My dealer said there were no error codes coming up on the computer when they checked.

Comment

Anyone else get this?

Comment

Working...
          X