Eco-Engine Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eco-Engine Change

One thing I've noticed between the old 2013 version of the DS3 and the new 2015 version is that the eco start stop engine doesn't kick in until the car has completely stopped. the 2013 one turned off when it was rolling out of gear from around 10mph. I did like the older version rather than new as it felt like I was saving even more fuel (sad I know) compared to now.

I Eco Roll when I can (2014)
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Our 2014 lets you do it, I thought it was an oversight TBH as rolling out of gear with no vacuum pressure always seemed a bit weird/possibly dangerous. Though I've not tried to see if the servo assistance on the brakes still works after the 1st press.
      Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
      Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

Coasting ("rolling out of gear"), apart from being illegal*, is not good practice as it reduces the control you have over the car.

If you're doing it to save fuel you're wasting your time - in fact you're using more petrol! On the over-run the fuel supply is cut off, so you're not using any fuel; in neutral you're burning fuel to keep the engine running.

*To the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenRB45 View Post
          Our 2014 lets you do it, I thought it was an oversight TBH as rolling out of gear with no vacuum pressure always seemed a bit weird/possibly dangerous. Though I've not tried to see if the servo assistance on the brakes still works after the 1st press.
          the engine comes back on before you lose your brakes

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Coasting ("rolling out of gear"), apart from being illegal*, is not good practice as it reduces the control you have over the car.

If you're doing it to save fuel you're wasting your time - in fact you're using more petrol! On the over-run the fuel supply is cut off, so you're not using any fuel; in neutral you're burning fuel to keep the engine running.

With stop/start the engine is off when coasting as described above though ? We put the car into neutral and then below 10mph the engine switches off....
            sigpic

Comment

have you even read the thread.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by MadMan0 View Post
                the engine comes back on before you lose your brakes
                Ah fair enough it's one of those things I've not really wanted to experiment with incase it didn't.
                Crystal White pearl Mazda 3 Takuya 1.6
                Whisper Purple/White DS3 Dstyle plus 1.6 e-Hdi

Comment

Originally posted by JoshS117 View Post
                  the eco start stop engine doesn't kick in until the car has completely stopped. the 2013 one turned off when it was rolling out of gear from around 10mph.
                  Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                  have you even read the thread.
                  Maybe I misread the original post, but that does sound like coasting to me! If I'm wrong, I apologise.

Comment

If you want to be that Eco buy a bicycle.
                    Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
                    E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

It's most likely a software change to the car which has changed the nature of the system.
                      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                      Bigfeet's File Repository
                      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Just to add to my comment above

When I'm sat on the M60 doing under 10mph surrounded by other cars doing the same speed there's not much more control I need other than to slow down even more and stop!

I don't eco roll on open roads when ever I can, just coming to a stop at lights, sat in traffic etc. And its never to save fuel, just because I'm slowing down anyway.
                        My DS3R3... nearly....
                        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

The "Eco-Roll" was part of the software to allow the user to "change their mind" when coming to a halt, the idea was that you are slowing down to stop but then an opening appears to continue.
                          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                          Bigfeet's File Repository
                          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I just found it good when on the commute. as WTF says useful when coming to red lights. slow moving traffic and when on a slight hill just to roll.

Relating to bikes I'd rather not be one of those folk. Mountain biking fine. Road bikes. NAAAAAR

Comment

Working...
                            X