Noisy engine on low revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy engine on low revs

Hi guys. I own a DSTYLE PLUS E-HDI 2012. I have a problem with my car and have had 2 garages look at it but they say they can't really hear the problem. When the car is idling if I just push the accelerator down a tiny bit and hold it the engine sounds like a motorbike (only way I can describe it) it's a noisy, rumbling sound. As soon as I push it past this "sweet" spot the noise goes. I can also hear this noise when I am driving in slow moving traffic and am just touching the accelerator a bit just to keep me moving along in the flow. I'm sure it's nothing serious but it's so damned annoying!!!! Any help would be appreciated

It's a diesel . . .

Comment

Can you get a recording of the sound when parked up on your drive ?

It might help us confirm if it's a normal DS3 diesel noise or something else
      sigpic

Comment

Yep, thats correct it is a diesel

I know what a diesel sounds like. I've had this car since new and it's never made this noise before . Will try to get a recording

Comment

Originally posted by Goonerman1 View Post
          I've had this car since new and it's never made this noise before .
          Might be worth having a good look around under the bonnet to see if anything's come loose. I don't know if the common broken exhaust bracket problem affects diesels, but that's something worth checking, as it can cause vibrations which can be audible as increased engine noise.

Comment

Yes Dave, the exhaust vibrating had crossed my mind. will check that out

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Might be worth having a good look around under the bonnet to see if anything's come loose. I don't know if the common broken exhaust bracket problem affects diesels, but that's something worth checking, as it can cause vibrations which can be audible as increased engine noise.
              IIRC the bracket issue is with the rear hanger so any noise shouldn't be too audible if that's at fault from the front of the engine.

If the other hangers/brackets are corroded though I imagine this could be quite noisy.
              cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

The heat shield for the turbo and DPF has also been known to come loose. Bang on it and see if it makes any noise.
                Originally posted by cyclone
                It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                Originally posted by Broda
                I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                  IIRC the bracket issue is with the rear hanger so any noise shouldn't be too audible if that's at fault from the front of the engine.
                  The first thing that alerted me to a possible problem when mine failed was an apparent small increase in exhaust noise at the front of the car.

Comment

Yours sounds maybe a bit more severe than what I experienced on a newish diesel, but try looking at this thread: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....hlight=buzzing. Scubagazza managed to point me in the right direction and the noise is now history.

Comment

Working...
                    X