Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine sounds really rough on first start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine sounds really rough on first start!

Afternoon everyone,

I've attached a video of what my car keeps doing from a cold start. It's a really unhealthy noise but once I restart it like I do in the video it sounds fine. Any ideas are much appreciated?

https://youtu.be/oV1CmzHi9as

Cheers guys and gals.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Can't watch video. Is it engine noise or exhaust noise?

What engine is it?
    @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Engine noise, it sounds like a really old diesel with the amount of clattering. Then once restarted it sounds like it should. It is booked in to go in in a couple of weeks. Almost sounds like it misfires but I don't know. :/

Comment

And sorry it's a thp 155 dsport red.

Comment

Car went in yesterday for them to have a look. They now have a new timing chain kit on order for Monday.

Guess I'm rolling in the 1.2 se corsa courtesy car til then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattius View Post
            Car went in yesterday for them to have a look. They now have a new timing chain kit on order for Monday.
            Sounds about right- check they are doing the timing chain tensioner mechanism too. False economy not to.
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Yeah I did ask and he said they'd ordered a kit for it so it's all included.

Kind of annoyed it's happened after only having the car a few weeks but also mighty glad that it's still covered so they're sorting it. :/. I assume the new bits shouldn't have the same failings?

Comment

There seems to have been problems with the chain stretching, and tensioner unable to take all the slack

Youve much better chance with chains nowadays
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Thats exactly what mines doing, amongst the other things wrong with it. its going in on Tuesday

Comment

Indeed. Cars still in, turns out they had put the timing chain back in and then on start picked up an error code and now need to change the dephaser pulley. Hoping this should be it! Please please let this be it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattius View Post
                      Indeed. Cars still in, turns out they had put the timing chain back in and then on start picked up an error code and now need to change the dephaser pulley. Hoping this should be it! Please please let this be it!

Did they measure the timing chain when investigating it ? If was past a certain level then things like the dephaser pulley should been changed then with rest of the timing components.
                      Originally posted by den2712 View Post
                      Thats exactly what mines doing, amongst the other things wrong with it. its going in on Tuesday

Comment

Should really change it all at the same time save messing around

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah they've done the lot, full timing chain kit and dephaser pulley. Not sure if they measured the old one or not to be honest.

Really glad to have the car back though. Still a noisy tick over but from what I've heard and seen they are anyway!

Comment

I don't think mine was any different noise wise before or after the whole timing assembly was changed & it had slipped quite badly with both the cams being out of sync

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X