Aircon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircon!

So only just started using the aircon because of the slight rise in temperature...but the bloody thing takes an age to kick in! Anyone know what it might be?

At the minute i reckon it is taking around 30 mins of driving for it to work and then its great, im not sure if it will need re-gassing as its not 2 years old yet.

Thats the first thing to try and they can check for leaks while the system is pumped down prior to refilling.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

The indicator I use is to switch the air-con off, open the bonnet, open the driver's door, make sure the radio is off, start the engine then switch the air-con on. If you hear a "click" then the air-con pump is kicking in. Very low refrigerant levels will mean this probably won't happen. What can happen from my experience is that after you have driven the car for a while engine compartment temperatures rise, allowing sufficient pressure to build up in the system to allow the compressor pump to "activate". I believe there is a pressure switch in the system which stops the compressor from working if there is a low level of refrigerant. I think this is stop seal damage. The refrigerant also contains a lubricant. If the air-can pump does switch on but the temperature doesn't fall very much then this is a sure sign that the system needs topping up.

Comment

Brilliant thanks for that David, I believe this is exactly the case.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy225 View Post
          So only just started using the aircon because of the slight rise in temperature...
          Maybe that's part of your problem? The Owner's Handbook recommends running the air conditioning for 5 to 10 minutes once or twice a month to keep it in perfect working order.

Mine starts to blow cool air within about 30 seconds of starting the engine.

Comment

As DaveB says if you have A/C you need to run it at least once a month to keep everything working correctly.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

It's not that it's not been used as the climate control would use it as and when it's just not been used at 14 degrees solidly. Its being drained inspected and regassed Saturday.

Comment

A bit hard to run the A/C every month in the winter when it's below 0 degC for 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by pmatil View Post
                  A bit hard to run the A/C every month in the winter when it's below 0 degC for 6 months.
                  You realise A/C does hot AND cold right...?
                  - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                  - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                    The amount of people who say to me why have you got the A/C on, its 5 degrees outside?! and i'm like.....it does hot...???
                    Knock Knock?

Comment

Originally posted by liamlazenby View Post
                      The amount of people who say to me why have you got the A/C on, its 5 degrees outside?! and i'm like.....it does hot...???
                      Yeah exactly! Mine is always on Auto, 16-18 when its hot outside (3 days a year), 20-24 when its cold out (the rest of the time).
                      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                        Yes, but to protect the system air conditioning will not operate at low ambient temperatures, below something like 3º.

Comment

Yes, and by A/C I meant just the cooling system.

Comment

Slight update for you all... So the car had a regas to slight avail, it was working and running at 4.3 degrees and had just under half the volume of gas. The aircon guy reckoned that as it's the eco model the aircon wouldn't kick in until the engine was up to temp and also follows the same set of rules as stop start etc.. Apparently this is correct partly and when the engine got up to temp it kicked in. Anyway the aircon worked when needed for a week or so and then started playing up again although this time I can tell when it starts as there's a massive clunk that can be heard and felt quite clearly whilst in the car from the engine bay, it can take anywhere upto an hour for it to start. It went into citroen to be looked at and 3 hours later they haven't got the foggiest. Its now been booked in for 2 days work to find the fault, I'll give an update soon

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy225 View Post
                              It went into citroen to be looked at and 3 hours later they haven't got the foggiest
                              Similar situation with my last car and Citroen 'technicians'

Have a Read of THIS
                              Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Working...
                              X