Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Diagnose Suspension Problem

Hi everyone ,

Had a lot of problems recently with my car Drop links needed replacing with Top mounts due to knocking on the drivers side this did fix the knocking , DPF needed a full clean now ,

Now all of a sudden once of the worst knocking/rattling noises i have ever heard has started coming from the passenger side , its been to the mechanic and he has rebuild the suspension checked everything and cant seem to diagnose the problem ! ,
    yesterday a new driveshaft was fitted as that was the likely culprit but it hasn't worked at all (lukily the mechanic didn't charge me as it didn't fix it )

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be, or had the same problems ? Could it possibly be the steering rack ?

its going back into the garage Monday morning and hes going to spend all day on it to try and find the fault , as im driving to Cornwall Tuesday and really need it fixing ,
    ive been contemplating going to Citroen and getting them to diagnose it but been told this is a waste of time ?

Thanks !

Ben

If you could get us a video of the noise Ben you might have a bit more success with us trying to diagnose the issue.

Don't get your hopes up though, the suspension is more than just the shock and springs.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Why would Citroen be a waste of time ? If you have an ongoing issue I'd start with them as they may have more experience of issues affecting DS3s.

Ask for a quote for investigation work first if you're not still covered under warranty. How old is your car ?
      sigpic

Comment

Get yourself a crowbar or equally angry looking piece of steel, and with the car in the air, start hanging off stuff to see if it moves a great deal, i.e, ball joints and bushes. this is the best way i find to zero in on a problem you cant see.
        Failing that, with the car keys in but not turned full on, get the missus/boyfriend/cat to shake the steering from left to right and look for more play in stuff.
        Phyliss

Spreader of rumors, taker of lives, leader of men

Comment

Thanks for your replies !

Ill try and get a video of the noise and post it on here ,

The car is a 2011 1.6 DSport ,I've rang the Citroen garage near me its £95 for an hour inspection , i decided to bite the bullet and do it , might cost more at Citroen but like you said they know their own cars

i have already give that a go and so have a few other mechanics , that's the difficult thing with the car stationary it doesn't make a single noise you can bounce on the bonnet and struts don't make a noise ,
          there is no play in the wheels , all the bushes have been done

Comment

Originally posted by God7r3y118 View Post
            I've rang the Citroen garage near me its £95 for an hour inspection.
            Jesus Christ! It's your money you're free to do with it what you want but £95/hr labour?! I'm in the wrong job.
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

I know tell me about it me too ! just hoping they manage to find the source , woman on the phone said they generally dont take an hour to diagnose so hopefully they wont , dont want to keep paying out :mad:

Comment

You might want to confirm what the minimum and maximum is they're likely to charge before handing over your keys.

That or try another Citroen dealer..
                cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

All she said it was a fixed price at £95/ph however if it takes less time ill be charged less so £95 is the maximum

Comment

Originally posted by God7r3y118 View Post
                    All she said it was a fixed price at £95/ph however if it takes less time ill be charged less so £95 is the maximum
                    Fixed but may be less?
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Sorry my Bad just read that back haha , said they charge £95ph for the inspection however if it only takes 30 mins ill get charged half and if it takes 15 ill get charged a quarter ect ....

Dont see them finding the problem quickly though

Comment

Hopefully they'll nail it for you....

Years ago I had a V6 ford Sierra (check Google kids) and it had annoying noise that no one could find for love nor money. In the end a tyre fitter told me it was an engine mount that had worked loose !!! He was spot on and once tightend I never heard it again
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X