Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut blasting

Hi peeps,

See alot of talking recently about walnut blasting, what is this and would it be needed on my 2014 ds3 1.6hdi 90bhp?

Sorry if i sound really stupid, have just never heard of this before.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 DS3 DSport Plus - Sport Red with Onyx Black Roof + Wheels

Without getting technical (at all). The way the direct injection (GDI) engine is designed means that the valves are susceptible to a build up of carbon over time, walnut blasting is the process where tiny walnut shell fragments are used to blast the carbon off the valves under high pressure.
    sigpic

Comment

Be happy your little oil burner is robust long lived and fairly worry free engine.
      Originally posted by cyclone
      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
      Originally posted by Broda
      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by Kennie View Post
        Hi peeps,

See alot of talking recently about walnut blasting, what is this and would it be needed on my 2014 ds3 1.6hdi 90bhp?

Sorry if i sound really stupid, have just never heard of this before.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I think (and I'm sure the more experienced and technical members will correct me) you shouldn't ever need a walnut blast as you have a diesel and it's the petrol THP engine that's prone to the carbon build up. Please feel free to correct me anyone.
        DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

However there is an engine clean for the Diesel available by Terraclean which will clear the pipes out so to speak and this can be carried out at 15,000 mile intervals.
          LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Is that right Jez? Have you had it done on yours?

Comment

Yes...but it ain`t cheap, starts at over £100. depending on engine size/power. I shall be going to get it done again near me at 30,000 miles,last done at 15,000.

sigpic

Comment

Is it worth doing? Is there a noticeable difference in performance/smoothness etc?

Comment

Being Diesel it will rattle a bit afterwards as all the gunk and rubbish is removed from around the valves etc but the car will perform well and economy is maintained.

sigpic

Comment

While we're on cleaning processes, is there anything helpful for the NA engine? I'm on 48k miles so the engine's probably one big black ball of gunk
                    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                    Join the Facebook Group!
                    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Terraclean can be applied to both Petrol and Diesel engines,there is a separate machine for these. I cannot suggest Walnut Blasting as I have not had this done because my engine is Diesel,but you could ask Jamie at SP Tuning if this is applicable to your car`s engine.

sigpic

Comment

Also,I had the Terraclean carried out in addition and on a separate occasion to usual Servicing,Oil Change,filters etc.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jez - good info pal. Will defo consider this Terraclean lark.

Comment

Check out their website for details and local Terraclean technicians.

sigpic

Comment

If I had a THP - I'd be off to see Jamie. I will be off to see him post warranty anyway. Remap remap remap!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X