Ignition coil replacedment after less than 3 month old car - 4000km

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition coil replacedment after less than 3 month old car - 4000km

I was driving on the autoroute in Luxembourg and my car started to stall and decrease its acceleration rapidly until it came to a complete stop. i was stuck in the middle of the highway in peak traffic time. I kept getting this fault on the screen: Engine fault: Have the vehicle repaired!!!!! This is a brand new car! They towed my car to the nearest Citroen dealer and have informed me that the Ignition coil must be replaced. No courtesy car was given although I live in Germany and have to commute to Luxembourg daily. Has anyone encountered such a problem in such a short time please?

Coil 4 failed on my 2012 DS3 1.6 THP on the way home about 3 weeks ago. Car went into limp mode / safe mode where the engine will cut out the turbo (hence no power) and the cooling fans will go on full speed. My car was still driveable, I just had to get the revs up to 3k before engaging the clutch... which did take a long time!

I called out the AA who cleared faults and told to me to book in with Citroen.

I've taken my car to my local Citroen dealer and they have said it will need;
    4 new coils
    4 new plugs
    1 engine wiring harness
    1 software update recall

(All covered under extended warranty - highly recommended buying it if you own a THP [emoji30][emoji30])

All being well, it should be done by next Friday.

Citroen were not able to give me a courtesy car as their new policy will only insure you if you're 22 and over (really wanted that DS5!!) so I've taken a courtesy car from Peugeot, where I work. From DS3 to 108 1.0ltr [emoji23][emoji23]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	360772

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Glo View Post
      I was driving on the autoroute in Luxembourg and my car started to stall and decrease its acceleration rapidly until it came to a complete stop. i was stuck in the middle of the highway in peak traffic time. I kept getting this fault on the screen: Engine fault: Have the vehicle repaired!!!!! This is a brand new car! They towed my car to the nearest Citroen dealer and have informed me that the Ignition coil must be replaced. No courtesy car was given although I live in Germany and have to commute to Luxembourg daily. Has anyone encountered such a problem in such a short time please?
      Sadly I've heard cars lasting less than this -_-

What engine do you have? Is there an update from your dealer about the cause and fix?
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Just had an update from Citroen... my DS3 requires a new engine [emoji28][emoji28] wish I avoided the EP6T engine. £6,300 for a new engine, that's without labour

Comment

Wow that is some really bad luck

Is that cost fully covered by the extended warranty?
          ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
          Join the Facebook Group!
          Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I hope they are doing it!
            My DS3R3... nearly....
            New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by PSAPhav View Post
              Just had an update from Citroen... my DS3 requires a new engine [emoji28][emoji28] wish I avoided the EP6T engine. £6,300 for a new engine, that's without labour

Wow! That's hella expensive.
              Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
              E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

Could get a second hand RCZ-R engine from a scrappie for a similar price! And that's 270bhp!
                Join the Facebook Group!
                Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I'll find out on Monday what's happening. Hopefully Citroen accept it through ext warranty. (Depends if the previous owner kept to service schedules and didn't use non gen parts!![emoji24][emoji24])

There is a very high chance of Citroen buying the car off me, as it would be more cost efficient for them. I've seen Peugeot do that to a 208 with a EP6T engine.

Fingers crossed over the weekend.

Driving a Peugeot 2008 1.6 HDi 100bhp for the weekend

Comment

My thp 150 engine was replaced too. With only 65000km, one of the cilindres had no compression. Maintenance uptodate. The Citroen internal documents recomended to change it.
                    As my car was not under warranty, they offered to replace the damaged engine by one refurbished with a discount(40%)and a year of warranty.
                    As I needed the car i repaired it, but to be honest i should have sold the car by parts.
                    I expected that the premium brand from PSA had a better customer service... It is a pity cause I was thinking in buying a performance one.
                    Although i love this car, i won't by any PSA car again.

I hope you have a better luck.

Sorry for my bad english.

Comment

4 years and one hell of a first and I guess last post.
                      Sorry you have had a bad experience and hope that whatever you get next works better for you. Good luck
                      Originally posted by cyclone
                      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                      Originally posted by Broda
                      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

WARRANTY ACCEPTED!!!!!!

New engine and new turbo on order. Car will be back on the road hopefully next Friday or the following Monday

Comment

WARRANTY ACCEPTED!!!!!!

New engine and new turbo on order. Car will be back on the road hopefully next Friday or the following Monday
                          Great news! Bet you're ecstatic
                          Join the Facebook Group!
                          Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
                            Great news! Bet you're ecstatic
                            Just a bit [emoji6]so so so lucky the previous owner took out extended warranty [emoji28][emoji28]

Comment

WARRANTY ACCEPTED!!!!!!

Absolutely fantastic news!! Happy Days PSAPhav!! :star:
                              DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X