Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DS3 - is premium fuel worth it?

Hi all,

Got my new DS3 and need to take her for her first fuelling.

Simple question - Is premium petrol worth the money?

For this engine? I don't think so.

Comment

I've had 2x THPs, always used Shell V-Power and never had any issues.

For the minor extra cost, I'm happy to pay it, even if the benefit is just in my head.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

I would think so.
        I put premium diesel in mine, even though it is only the smallest engine Citroen do. I definitely notice the difference. Start ups are smoother, acceleration is more responsive and mileage is increased
        If I don't manage to put premium in I always have Redex at home so make sure I use that.
        The premium stuff helps to protect the inner workings of the engine making it work better for longer.
        There was a thread somewhere from someone who has much more knowledge than me about the benefits and downsides to it, hopefully one lovely person will know where it is.

Happy Ds3'ing!
        Knock Knock?

Comment

I using premium gas on my THP too, just to avoid any premature problem in the fuel pump.

Comment

Originally posted by liamlazenby View Post
            I would think so.
            I put premium diesel in mine, even though it is only the smallest engine Citroen do. I definitely notice the difference. Start ups are smoother, acceleration is more responsive and mileage is increased
            If I don't manage to put premium in I always have Redex at home so make sure I use that.
            The premium stuff helps to protect the inner workings of the engine making it work better for longer.
            There was a thread somewhere from someone who has much more knowledge than me about the benefits and downsides to it, hopefully one lovely person will know where it is.

Happy Ds3'ing!
            Is this Premium Diesel the S50 diesel?

About the fuel, a premium fuel will improve milage and power of the car, but not sure if it is economically viable. That's what i meant, you won't have any expressive gain in power and mileage taking in account the fuel price.

Comment

On a 1.2 puretech engine personally i wouldn't bother but then again i can see it only doing good so its up to you. I personally swear by Vpower and Ultimate .. more V Power now with the THP and i have and do notice the difference. Personal choice, try both see what you think is best, when i say try it don't put a fiver of each
              in and base it on that. Actually do at least a tank of each.
              Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
              E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

For the THP: Yes.
                For your small VTi 82: Hell no. It's not worth it, because your engine is a very simple construction without the parts who make the THP prone.
                Citroën DS³ // THP 155 // Body Ruby Red // Roof Moondust
                DS³R Speedometer // 19" OEM Cairns // KW V3 Coilovers

Comment

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                    I've had 2x THPs, always used Shell V-Power and never had any issues.

For the minor extra cost, I'm happy to pay it, even if the benefit is just in my head.
                    The extra cost near me is 12p per litre. Hard to justify.
                    What's the extra per litre for other places?

Comment

Originally posted by gmt234 View Post
                      The extra cost near me is 12p per litre. Hard to justify.
                      What's the extra per litre for other places?
                      Usually around 5p for me. Though TBH I don't even look, even at 12p that's £6 a tank difference, I can live without that extra pint in the pub.
                      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Say premium fuel is about 10% dearer, I for one would expect a 10% improvement in mileage given comparable circumstances. My gut feeling tells me this is unlikely. Other than improved mileage, one could expect less knock (petrol engines) and an even cleaner combustion. Could very well be. Whatever the case, I stick to regular diesel from premium makes such as Shell and BP and the like.

sent from my Nokia 6310i using the keypad
                        At some point I will come up with a signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Niek View Post
                          Say premium fuel is about 10% dearer, I for one would expect a 10% improvement in mileage given comparable circumstances. My gut feeling tells me this is unlikely. Other than improved mileage, one could expect less knock (petrol engines) and an even cleaner combustion. Could very well be. Whatever the case, I stick to regular diesel from premium makes such as Shell and BP and the like.

I do not think life is as linear as you would like it to be.
                          Originally posted by cyclone
                          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                          Originally posted by Broda
                          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                            I do not think life is as linear as you would like it to be.
                            If only... [emoji1]

At some point I will come up with a signature.

Comment

I have used shell v power diesel in my Ds3 hdi 110 since she was new as I did with my previous fiat bravo 1.9 multijet Sport 150 as the difference is really noticeable it runs so much smoother and acceleration is much stronger also when I take her for mots the guys always say what ever u are doing keep doing as she runs so cleanly on her emissions! So something in it is working for the old girl!

Comment

Working...
                              X