Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Advice

Hey guys. In need of a bit of advice

I've got a 2012 1.6 VTi. Runs like a beast but I've got two issues. Firstly, I had a rattle from the timing chain which I've had replaced under warranty. They went ahead and replaced crank and cam sprockets, guides, chain and tensioner. They also changed the belt, but since these changes the engine makes a whistling noise that increases with revs. Took it back to them and they since changed the dynamic tensioner, although the whistling is still there :confused: I'm suspecting its the coolant pump friction wheel, as my water pump was replaced under recall at the beginning of the year. Any ideas?

Secondly, the key for my locknuts has disappeared while at the dealership, but they assured me they didn't remove the wheel when doing any of the above repairs, which doesn't seem right to me. Am i right in thinking the wheel and arch lining are removed to do a belt change?

Many thanks brainiacs!

I had mine disappear as well, i had a slight leak near one of the drive shafts, they also said they didn't remove the wheel. For that and a couple of other reasons i use another dealership now.
    sigpic

Comment

I have the same engine and I've always thought the whistle was just the air intake box being noisy. It doesn't sound like a mechanical squeak to me.
      ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
      Join the Facebook Group!
      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Well my noise only appeared after they did changes, and it's very clearly coming from belt side of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesh View Post
          Well my noise only appeared after they did changes, and it's very clearly coming from belt side of the engine.
          :/ I would actually take someone from that garage out for a drive so that you're sure they hear the noise and know that it's only been like it since the work they did
          ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
          Join the Facebook Group!
          Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by Nesh View Post
            You or the garage will find that the belt is over tight, when you over tighten a belt the acoustics are of a whine, which increases with RPM, when anyone installs a new belt, there are specific tension loads, a general rule of thumb, if you can almost turn the belt from its face through 60° with moderate effort, the belt will be very close to its tension load specific value.

An over tight belt can snap prematurely, also it puts excess load on tensioners and any other bearing ancillary run off the belt.
            Performance Powered By Thought
            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Working...
            X