Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Fault: Repair Needed - No limp mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Fault: Repair Needed - No limp mode?

Hi all,

2011 THP here.

Was a very cold morning in Scotland today, car read -5 when I was setting off for work.

Jumped in the car, engine on, started letting the car defrost the windows.

My car's been suffering from rough idle for a good couple of months now (Its on 40k) however it seemed a bit more prominent this morning so i gave it a light rev - 2k or so.

The car then began to shudder quite a lot and the revs fluctuated between idle and 1.5k following me releasing the throttle.

It did this for 10 seconds or so before an error popped up - Engine Fault: Repair Needed - along with the check engine light.

I turned the car off, left it for a few minutes, turned back on, same thing.

Ideally I'd have left the car at home but I need it for getting to work, so I set off as normal taking it slow. Commute confirmed that the car isn't in limp mode, so I'm a bit confused.

Getting hold of a fault code reader after work so will see what codes its showing.

One other thing worth noting, I run a bottle of Carlube engine cleaner every couple of months, this was done on monday with a full tank of petrol so wondering if this could be related?

So far thinking fuel pump, however fingers crossed it isn't as looking to change cars in April!

Any ideas?

It probably went in limp mode when you were still idling. When you start the car up afterwards it runs just fine, but the message will still appear for 5 or 10 starts. Mine had the same.
    I don't mean to worry you, but mine ended up needing a new engine. Carbon build up was catastrophic (even after 2 cleans in 3years), timing chain was stretched, turbo needed to be replaced... Fingers crossed it's not that bad for you!

Comment

Originally posted by FLP View Post
      It probably went in limp mode when you were still idling. When you start the car up afterwards it runs just fine, but the message will still appear for 5 or 10 starts. Mine had the same.
      I don't mean to worry you, but mine ended up needing a new engine. Carbon build up was catastrophic (even after 2 cleans in 3years), timing chain was stretched, turbo needed to be replaced... Fingers crossed it's not that bad for you!
      What mileage was yours? I bought the car on 26k a year ago so I reckon it's never been cleaned. I bought it without reading up on the potential issues and ever since the problems started I've been itching to get rid, should have went for a newer one.

Don't know what the best course of action is here, do I baby the car for the next couple of months or do I pay through the nose to get this sorted just now knowing fine well the trade in value will be the exact same. Risk of it going pop in the mean time though :confused:

Comment

Mine had only 25k miles when the engine needed to be replaced. I have to say, mine seemed to be one of the extremer cases.

Limp mode will keep popping up every now and then. I would go and get it checked. If you're lucky it's an easy fix, and if not, you can still decide not to get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by FLP View Post
          Mine had only 25k miles when the engine needed to be replaced. I have to say, mine seemed to be one of the extremer cases.

Limp mode will keep popping up every now and then. I would go and get it checked. If you're lucky it's an easy fix, and if not, you can still decide not to get it fixed.
          Much appreciated buddy, will have the garage look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X