Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine revving but no power

Hey all,

Had a wierd problem yesterday, was driving my THP (not even sporty) and something wierd start happening.
    The car started to smell like oil (not burned oil) when i stopped for a few minutes at my brother (did not turn of the engine) and after that everytime the turbo kicked in the engine started revving to 4 - 5k but did not have any power. I thoughed the clutch might be slipping but in low revs (no turbo) the car acted normally. And could start in 3th and 4th gear without a problem. Not a clutch problem...
    Also i could not hear the engine revving even tho the rev counter showed 5000 rpm. Then i thoughed it was a turbo hose that had come lose, but all are ok.
    Any chance it's the dump valve staying open (and the ecu calculating the revs having some wierd calculation error because of this?)? Now the car is acting normal again.

Thanks,
    Nick

Drive in 3rd oe 4th gear at around 3000rpm and put the throttle down, if the engine rpm increases but the speed doesnt then its your clutch.
    sigpic

Comment

It's not the clutch, been driving like an idiot all day to see if it is. Thoughed the clutch might be overheating but if it hasn't by now. It never will...

Comment

Torque shows up clutch slippage not power as such. Anyway hope you find the problem.
        Last edited by Drummond Base; 06-02-2017, 17:22.
        sigpic

Comment

Had the same problem again. This time i'm sure it's not the clutch.
          First i was left with no power. After a few minutes i had alot more power. The trottle responsive in low revs was incredible. What i did notice was that there was no boost pressure beeing released, i could not hear the dump valve.
          This was only in a 8km trip, and when i parked smoke was comming from the engine bay. The turbo was red hot.
          I have no idea what caused it but a red turbo can't be good. The car must be running to rich. Left with no options other then replacing the timing chain, gears, cam phaser, cam valve solenoid and turbo waterpump...

Will it ever stop?

Comment

Jamie or Czar would be the guys to help on this one.
            sigpic

Comment

Getting hot, glowing turbo suggests either too much boost, a lean mixture, or a very late ignition.
              Have you checked fault codes? The no boost situation could be just limp mode.
              Check your fuel pressure
              White on red THP
              Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Hi Jamie, one fault code. There is a camsensor one, position of cam not correct. But it's over 10k old. Fuel pressure seems fine.

Comment

Ok, it trew up the P0011 fault code again today and can't remove it... I hope my parts i ordered will be arriving soon. Full timing kit + cam phaser & soloniod etc...
                  Let's hope it's the end of my problems for a while. Their not that well build these engines...

Comment

I finally found the problem causing this wierd issue. The gearbox is leaking oil, probably the seal on the input shaft that is worn out? Never had enough oil to see it as i did check but now there is loads...
                    This causes the clutch to slip ever so slightly, and sometimes, after driving like a normal person for a while the amount of oil gets big enough to make the clutch slip, alot...

Hope the input shaft bearing is still ok. Any way to check without removing the gearbox?

Comment

Also, this can't be normal after 65k km? Boughed it at 45k and it has had a new clucth by citroen at 25k. Requested service history after buying the car.
                      Anything else i need to check or replace besides clutch and seal?

Comment

Originally posted by V3nn3tj3 View Post
                        I finally found the problem causing this wierd issue. The gearbox is leaking oil, probably the seal on the input shaft that is worn out? Never had enough oil to see it as i did check but now there is loads...
                        This causes the clutch to slip ever so slightly, and sometimes, after driving like a normal person for a while the amount of oil gets big enough to make the clutch slip, alot...

Hope the input shaft bearing is still ok. Any way to check without removing the gearbox?
                        So i was right then
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, it's not the clutch itself, altho it did smell and smoke a lot after last night. It does have to be replaced...

Comment

Found the problem, leaking both brake fluid from clutch slave cilinder and gear oil...
                            Replacing everything even master cilinder except flywheel.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170427_195028.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	361049

Name:	IMG_20170427_195035.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	361050

Name:	IMG_20170427_195050.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	361051

Comment

Wow - you've really had the gremlins in your engine bay haven't you ?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X