Thp 155 ECU remap - good and bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thp 155 ECU remap - good and bad

Hi everyone, got a DS3 13 plate last month, great deal but it had sat on a forecourt for 9 months so I was expecting some work. First thing I did was take it for a nice walnut blast. Before and after pictures were great but I didn't notice a huge performance increase. I'd been planning on getting it mapped to 190bhp since I bought it (if I understand correctly it's got the cooper s engine so tuning to 190 is minimal risk).

So, I got this done 48hrs ago by quantum tuning. Took four hours as can't be done via the port. Thanked the guy, drove off and immediately noticed a serious choppiness to the acceleration. I gave it some welly and suddenly engine light comes on and it drops into take me home mode! Swept straight back and the guy finds that there is misfiring occurring on at least 1 cylinder. Luckily there's about 5 minutes before europarts shuts so I shoot down and grab some new spark plugs. These seemed to fix the issue. The old ones look like they've been in for the whole 38000 miles of the cars life to be honest, so I suspect that they weren't working properly before but the remap put enough strain on to expose it? Is that possible?

Anyway. A bit of advice needed about what to do next. It's still not quite right. Very powerful, but idle remains rough (has been since purchase, I expected the walnut blast to fix it), and today I got a couple of odd lags in acceleration I think were short lived misfires.

Do you think it could be the coils or HT wires?

I've ordered some new coils and an air filter (not convinced this will have ever been changed), do you think I should replace the HT leads too?

Anything else I should be thinking about? I'm happy the remap seems to have worked, I think there were preceding issues that are now being made more obvious.

If I need to replace the HT leads where do I get them? I've looked online but there is nowhere telling me which type are suitable?

Any advice would be great
    Thanks
    Dan
    DS3 THP 155 - stage 2+ remap, milltek sports cat and non resonated exhaust system, airtec FM intercooler and alloy boost pipes, induction kit. Mtech short shifter, VAG recirculation valve with uprated alta spring, uprated hpfp, uprated spark plugs, uprated coil pack, VTA twin pcv to filtered catch can, uprated Sachs clutch, ebc brake pads and vented discs, LED interior lighting, rcz gearknob, Michelin pilot sport 4s, iridium spark plugs

Could very well be the HPFP from the sounds of it.

Also welcome along Someone with more knowledge of THPs will be along soon enough to add more info.

Oh also, with regard to the spark plugs, they recommend you change them at 40k miles so they probably were close to packing in when you got your remap.
    Last edited by BenS; 16-02-2017, 07:37.
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Unless the HPFP has already been changed then it may be the guilty part. Mine was causing uneven idling and through up a limp mode one day, had it changed By Jamie (Forum member) at SP Tuning and it cured the issue.
      sigpic

Comment

Awesome, thanks very much guys. Great forum. I'll be changing the coils today so will report back. If it wasn't the spark plugs or the coils causing the rough idle and hesitation then it's probably the hpfp? Sadly I'm a long way from Jamie (Cumbria) but I'm sure Keith at my local garage would be able to sort a new hpfp if needed. Is there anything else that could be causing this that others have experienced?
        DS3 THP 155 - stage 2+ remap, milltek sports cat and non resonated exhaust system, airtec FM intercooler and alloy boost pipes, induction kit. Mtech short shifter, VAG recirculation valve with uprated alta spring, uprated hpfp, uprated spark plugs, uprated coil pack, VTA twin pcv to filtered catch can, uprated Sachs clutch, ebc brake pads and vented discs, LED interior lighting, rcz gearknob, Michelin pilot sport 4s, iridium spark plugs

Comment

Oh wow. The coil change was really needed! That's made a huge difference. Shame I couldn't persuade my six year old son to help, apparently Minecraft is more interesting... No rough idle now. I'll change the air filter (suspect never changed either). If it's playing up in future I'll look at the hpfp as a possible cause.

Anyone got experience of upgrading the air intake and exhaust for performance in a stage 1 ECU remapped thp? Would love any recommendations?

Thanks
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Sirdan555 View Post
            Oh wow. The coil change was really needed! That's made a huge difference. Shame I couldn't persuade my six year old son to help, apparently Minecraft is more interesting... No rough idle now. I'll change the air filter (suspect never changed either). If it's playing up in future I'll look at the hpfp as a possible cause.

Anyone got experience of upgrading the air intake and exhaust for performance in a stage 1 ECU remapped thp? Would love any recommendations?

Thanks
            Dan
            Minecraft! Pfffffft. LEGO Games are waaaaaaaay better

Glad to hear it's running better!
            My DS3R3... nearly....
            New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Hi, thanks a lot.
              Occasional issues under hard acceleration now, juddering and slight rough idle. Think I'll do the hpfp too - ive heard the basic one on the thp 155 could regularly have issues by this mileage.

Can anyone confirm if this mini one is the best one to fit to a 13 plate THP 155?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-R55-R56...%257Ciid%253A4

It's the cheapest I could find but states it won't fit mini engines after 2010. Presume the THP 155 even at 13 plate is ok for this? Threads I've read suggest this model number is the one to get for the THP, but none of them are completely clear whether they are talking about the 155 or 150 variant!

Thanks
              Dan

Comment

I would advise not to drive hard until you have resolved this misfire issue,
                If car was mapped on old plugs you could be experiencing detonation, might also be worth getting the guys that mapped it to recheck the car, as you absolutely do not want det, detonation is a killer of petrol turbo car engines, it's another name for pinking or preignition, basically the plugs firing before Pistons reach top dead centre,
                Not wanting to scare you just a caution, as the last thing you want right now straight after buying and remapping car is to be rebuilding the engine,
                Read up about engine detonation on google and you will see what I mean

Comment

Thanks very much, hpfp in the post and I'll get that installed and see where we are.

Comment

Oright pal. Where you based in Cumbria? I'm just at Workington myself!

Comment

I can't see why any of these problems your having were not initially picked up on when it was tuned. Surely they did all the necessary pre tests, data logs etc, and then same again with the tune installed?
                      White on red THP
                      Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies, hpfp installed yesterday by Keith at Prospect - all working great now! No misfires, idling properly. Now need to think about induction kits and exhausts!

Comment

Working...
                        X