Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ester base racing oil advice

I am starting this thread about engine oils

I own a ds3 thp and its now tuned to around 215bhp so the engine internals are stressed a bit more now

I also know that engine oils are the most important when it comes to engine protection...until now I was using the total 5w30 full synthetic as suggested by citroen

For maximum engine protection is a racing ester base engine oil much better than the oil I was using? I 've read that ester base provide much more protection than full synthetic oils
    however I also read an article saying that unless you use your car for track days/racing it might not be a good idea to use a racing oil...this is because the racing oil is designed to work /protect at higher temperatures/ continuous high revving driving. The article was saying if you are not using your car for racing /track then stay with a regular synthetic oil ..this is because the synthetic engine oil will provide better protection for short distance driving...regular stops and at normal driving conditions

I don't use my car for racing/track days I just enjoy a spirited drive once in a while

so which engine oil will provide the maximum protection ? also are there any other things I should consider for protecting my engine? ( I already have a catch tank installed)

Personally I use Motul 300V Competition 15w50, is an Ester oil. I use thicker because my engine has been rebuild, but I've some THPs use Motul 10w40... As for the downsides of using Racing Oil beside having to do a bit longer warm up and change intervals are much shorter I cant think of anything else... I've been using it the last 20.000km, changed it 3 times till now, 4th time being next week...
    DS3 Racing | Matt Orange | eTuners Stage III+ | Wössner Forged Pistons | Bastuck De-Cat Exhaust | Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit | AEM Water/Methanol Injection | Motul 300V Competition Oil | Mahle Coated Bearings | Cylinder Head Porting | 100 Octane Juice

Comment

Have you found anything more about oil options Eagle?
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Ive been warned off it. Racing oil contains more zinc. Which is harmful for you cat converter. I wouldn't bother with it personally if you weren't racing.

Comment

That said, you may find the positives of racing oil outweigh the negatives.

Comment

I have used motul v300 10w40 racing on my previous car a swift sport and i was amazed on how the vvti engine was working it felt a lot more responsive.
            I ve read a lot of good reviews about the redline ester base racing oil as well

I need a good oil for maximum protection of my engine ...the reviews ive read are mixed about racing oils for using it for non racing

Comment

Racing oils don't have to pass any wear tests etc so I wouldn't risk it on a car used as your daily run around.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakmere View Post
                Racing oils don't have to pass any wear tests etc so I wouldn't risk it on a car used as your daily run around.
                A lot of reviews are saying that ester base race oils are designed/suited for track /racing...they have additives that provide
                excellent protection in high temp and high rpm but they lack the additives
                For city driving when the oil is colder an also they lack the protection for more frequent start/stop cycles

So i guess staying with the total 5w30 would be fine

Comment

Eagle, forget Ester based Racing oils, you'll not drain and refill regular enough, Racing oils are just that, if your looking for a very good engine oil, then look no further than Millers Nanodrive, I can recommend this oil, they do a Nanodrive for the gearbox too, I use nothing but Millers products, as they are almost on my doorstep, I have also been lucky enough to work with their laboratory chemists and create oil blends specific for my various applications.
                  Performance Powered By Thought
                  Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post
                    Eagle, forget Ester based Racing oils, you'll not drain and refill regular enough, Racing oils are just that, if your looking for a very good engine oil, then look no further than Millers Nanodrive, I can recommend this oil, they do a Nanodrive for the gearbox too, I use nothing but Millers products, as they are almost on my doorstep, I have also been lucky enough to work with their laboratory chemists and create oil blends specific for my various applications.
                    Thank you Czar for your reply and recommendation.. I never understood what is consider a good /premium engine oil? If you read the description of almost all engine oil brands from the cheapest ones to the most expensive it will read almost the same thing:
                    "Designed for the best engine protection ...provides excellent lubrication against wear...fast lubrication for cold engine start etc. "

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
                      If you read the description of almost all engine oil brands from the cheapest ones to the most expensive it will read almost the same thing:
                      "Designed for the best engine protection ...provides excellent lubrication against wear...fast lubrication for cold engine start etc. "
                      Which toothpaste do you use? Serious question..

All the toothpaste adverts I see claim to have the best whitening effect, long-lasting fresh breath etc... Yet every day I see a new advert for a different toothpaste claiming to be the best.

It makes you wonder what they're comparing it again. I'd argue that any toothpaste is the best at whitening your teeth when compared with dog shit.

Don't believe the marketing hype
                      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                        I'd argue that any toothpaste is the best at whitening your teeth when compared with dog shit
                        Hahahahaha!!! That made me LOL. Quote of the day!!
                        DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Totally agree thats why am not sure
                          Which oils are better than others.

Comment

Working...
                          X