Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake disc sizes under 17" Belllones

Good afternoon, lovely folks!

After a wonderful afternoon replacing the oil level and temp sensor at the back of the engine (which fixed my constant fan on and low oil and EML light on) I had plenty of time to familiarise myself with the inside of the Bellones. My discs and pads are shot.

I searched for this but came up with little that helped although in all honesty I rushed the search as I am keen to order some discs and pads for tomorrow delivery, and an MOT on Tuesday!

My question is this: is it a a simple job to put larger discs on or is it, like the Racing I assume, a case of needing new calipers/pads? I just want to bolt 'em on and go. I assume it ain't like that (the Racing has 18's and 4 pots?)

TIA, and have a lovely Sunday evening!

Stu.

I know that if you're after bigger calipers the pug 406 Brembos are compatible if you have 10mm spacers on the wheels.

Not sure if bigger discs will help with stock calipers as the brake pad area will still be the same. Probably need to do them both at the same time.

Many members know more about this sort of thing than me though
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Hey Ben! Hope you're well?

I thought it may be something that was not a quick swap.

The reason I even said anything about it is because when I was looking at a couple of factor sites, they both said 2 disc sizes were available so I assumed that mine were the 283mm but there were some over 300mm listed (323mm??)

Thanks mate,

Stu.

Comment

(I should add that I meant buying pads, calipers and discs - just whether they'd all fit in the bellones)

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
          Not sure if bigger discs will help with stock calipers as the brake pad area will still be the same. Probably need to do them both at the same time.
          Bigger discs would increase braking effort, as the calipers would have to be moved further out to clear the discs, so the effective radius would increase. (Brake torque is the product of clamping force, coefficient of friction & effective radius). Pad area is, for practical purpose, irrelevant.

Comment

Many members know more about this sort of thing than me though
            Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Bigger discs would increase braking effort, as the calipers would have to be moved further out to clear the discs, so the effective radius would increase. (Brake torque is the product of clamping force, coefficient of friction & effective radius). Pad area is, for practical purpose, irrelevant.
            Point proven!
            Join the Facebook Group!
            Join the Discord Server!

Comment

There is a bit of space to move the calipers out, why not try measuring up the available space after moving the caliper out as far as it will comfortably go?
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

You take your car to the track a lot? No. Live at the top of a mountain? No. Do not waste your hard earned cash then. Want to look real cool, go right ahead. Don't get me wrong that is a valid enough reason. Just not that many practical reasons to buy big brake kit. Your car has all the stoping power it can use as it sits. Change to higher performance pads to effectively use that power and some sticky tires to to get it to the ground.
                Originally posted by cyclone
                It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                Originally posted by Broda
                I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I fitted brakes from the racing. So discs and calipers. Took about an hour.
                  Beware that you will need spacers or new wheels with et15 !

Comment

Point proven!
                    Every day is a school day, dude! It is for me, anyhow!

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                      You take your car to the track a lot? No. Live at the top of a mountain? No. Do not waste your hard earned cash then. Want to look real cool, go right ahead. Don't get me wrong that is a valid enough reason. Just not that many practical reasons to buy big brake kit. Your car has all the stoping power it can use as it sits. Change to higher performance pads to effectively use that power and some sticky tires to to get it to the ground.
                      Absolutely fair comment, Cyclone! Noooo, definitely not living at the top of a mountain and waaaay too old to look cool, but track... yes! That's the idea. I want to avoid fade of course! I just need to know whether the Racing set-up fits under the 17" Bellones, and moving forward, whether this would in fact be a benefit over the existing set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by V3nn3tj3 View Post
                        I fitted brakes from the racing. So discs and calipers. Took about an hour.
                        Beware that you will need spacers or new wheels with et15 !
                        PERFECT! Thank you - this is absolutely what I wanted to understand; whether it is possible to get the set-up (with spacers) under the existing wheels.

Comment

You need 10mm spacers. Not more or they will stick out. My et15 wheel just fit.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X