Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Garage that will carry out Walnut Blasting in/around Surrey

Hi,

I've had problems with fault code p1339 (Misfire in Cylinder 3) which has been under investigation. One mechanic has already turned down the repair work, so it's now in a Citroen
    garage which has put a scope into the engine and diagnosed coked up inlet valves.

he briefly flirted with the idea of the shell blasting but then said it would not cure the problem. The mechanic want to change all the valves etc and has quoted me around £1900
    (not including parts). I'd like to try the shell blasting but am struggling to find anywhere local that will do it. BMW/Mini garages here in Surrey borders area have turned me down. I can't get to
    Leicester to get it done up there (and I don't think the car would make it anyway).

Does anyone know anyone local to the Surrey borders area, and/or would Terraclean be a good alternative?

Thank You for your help...

Sorry, I would edit this post to take out the cost details (you don't need to know that) but I don't appear to have an option to do that.

Comment

Well, it's nice to know the details. Anyway. I can't believe it can't be fixed with a proper cleaning. How many km or miles does it have and what year is it from?
      Also are we talking about a THP or a racing ? Details are handy sometimes. Is the car cared for (service history) and has it had other previous issues. What about timing chain, coils, spark plugs etc ? Might also be the high pressure fuel pump.

Comment

I can only advise as far as Terraclean will not touch the carbon deposits. Complete waste of money.

If you're pretty handy and have the tools, you could take the engine apart and manually clean the valves with an old toothbrush.
        ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
        Join the Facebook Group!
        Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Hi, The DS3 is from 2011. It's a 1.6 THP 16v Dsport. It's got around 46,000 miles on the clock. Things that have already been tried are changing the coil packs (no difference to poor running); new plugs & scheduled service (it was due anyway). The mechanic was going to try the timing route when he scoped the engine and told me that the inlet valves were heavily coked. He hasn't mentioned the High Pressure Fuel Pump. It has recently had a new auxillary coolant pump due to a coolant leak from the oil filter housing seal. That gave fault code p2603, that appears to have been rectified. Ultimately I would really hope that cleaning would solve the problems.

Its a much more cost effective solution. Otherwise it'll probably be around £3500 with parts.

That's a fierce amount of money (and basically my house deposit savings....).

Comment

Thanks BenS, no I'm not car literate at all. I wouldn't even think about it. If a non dealer could do it, I would be happy with that, I called a couple of local Mini/BMW dealers and they won't walnut shell blast it as they don't have the adaptors. So if any one knows of a garage locally that would do it, I would appreciate hearing them..

Comment

Yeah I'd enquire with local garages, ask around friends too for ones they trust and use for services and MOTs, and see if they will do it. Will probably be 3+ hours labour, but still much cheaper than new parts.
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

It's interesting that you say 3+ hours. I've been told to expect around 10 hours of labour. I'd be stupidly happy it it were only 3-5 hours worth of work...

Comment

Just taking a guess at removing the engine cover, scrubbing the valves, and reassembling. Can't see how it would take much more than an hour for each bit, maybe up to 2 hours for the cleaning.
                  Join the Facebook Group!
                  Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by BenS View Post
                    I can only advise as far as Terraclean will not touch the carbon deposits. Complete waste of money.
                    Beat me to it . I can tell you first hand that it useless. I got mine terracleaned, then walnut blasted. The before pictures for the walnut blast showed they were barely touched by terraclean!

Comment

Re-evaluate the situation and get to Burbage
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

I'd love to reevaluate the situation...

OK re-evaluated, still don't think it'll make it to Burbage, it struggled with a 5 mile ride out this morning. The hesitancy is pretty horrid and unnerving to drive. The dealer has advised decokeing inlet valves (they want to just replace them but haven't said that they are damaged or bent), new timing and head gasket etc...

The only positive thing I can think of is that it idles pretty well so maybe no HPFP problems...

I guess I'll be ringing around garages on Monday morning looking for someone who is willing to take on the job. I've taken it back from the dealer because they started to behave like a bunch of dicks. I asked them for a proper quote for the work and they just started stalling and being evasive. The quote above is one I got from another local dealer who would only give me a labour quote without parts.

Comment

Contact BMW.. pretty much same engine in some of the Minis (THP)

Peugout too

Or borrow a trailer-
                          Car transporter is 65 for the day
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Yeah, I've tried a few BMW/Mini dealers and independents in Surrey, they've turned me down. I'm interested what you say about a transporter, do they come with a driver? Or do I have to drive it myself, because that ain't gonna happen..

Comment

CHOICES- Hire of a transporter £65 for the day, last time i looked

You wont get a driver thrown in for free- got a friend that could help out?
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X