Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Shaft Play

https://youtu.be/STFlJG2-qiA

Mechanic just sent me this video and says he thinks the turbo might be on it's way out
    Not what I want to hear at 31k miles and out of warranty. I took it in because boost was kicking in late

Also, my LTFT is up at 15% and I've had some timing chain rattle. I expect the cam timing is off too

Comment

Originally posted by trotters View Post
      Also, my LTFT is up at 15% and I've had some timing chain rattle. I expect the cam timing is off too
      Theres definatley something wrong with LTFT at 15%, im having chain rattle and LTFT of -2.3% and Im already looking at changing it...
      DS3 Racing | Matt Orange | eTuners Stage III+ | Wössner Forged Pistons | Bastuck De-Cat Exhaust | Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit | AEM Water/Methanol Injection | Motul 300V Competition Oil | Mahle Coated Bearings | Cylinder Head Porting | 100 Octane Juice

Comment

After an oil change the chain rattle has gone it seems (last changed 5k miles ago), but the turbo is making noise

Comment

After an oil change the chain rattle has gone it seems (last changed 5k miles ago), but the turbo is making noise
          There's quite a bit of end-float on the turbo, which is what he's referring to, so it's safe to say that it's had it.

However, I've never heard of an oil change helping to get rid of chain rattle, more than likely the oil change has helped to quieten top-end rattle on the engine itself. My M9R Renault engine used to be almost silent after an oil change, the noise (and it's quite normal too) would return after a few hundred miles.

Comment

I misinterpreted what he said. The noise wasn't from the chain at all, it was all from the turbo!

Comment

Just had my new turbo fitted and the mechanic said he had a surprise for me... Apparently the new genuine turbo came with a blow off valve :cool:

The guy said he got a shock when he drove it after and nearly got into trouble!

Comment

What did you pay for the new turbo, just out of interest ?

Comment

I had the same problem with my turbo last year. It seems it's something to keep an eye on when somebody has similar problems in the future..

Comment

New turbo set me back £650. Was quoted £470 for a refurb but I'd be without my car for a week. Also the bonus BOV makes up for some of the difference in price

Comment

I suspect it went because the original owner of mine didn't change the oil regularly. I've been changing it every 6k miles.

Comment

New turbo set me back £650. Was quoted £470 for a refurb but I'd be without my car for a week. Also the bonus BOV makes up for some of the difference in price
                        Do you mind me asking, where did this turbo come from: they're cartridge-style so they're quite easy to refurb, and not that expensive either?

Comment

My local mechanic sourced it so I'm not sure where it came from exactly, but the part was genuine. He did tell me which refurb company he got the quotes from, but I've forgotten the name

Based on a quick google search, £650 seemed like a decent price for a new one. Did those refurb quotes seem particularly high? Either way I'm kind of glad to be rid of it. When Jamie mapped it last year he said the turbo looked like it had been dropped and was dented

Comment

Working...
                          X