Clunking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunking noise

Hi, my 62 plate 120vti auto has developed a clunking noise when on a bumpy surface, it appears to be coming from the back offside but doesn't happen in sync with the wheels going over bumps etc, i just wondered if anyone has had this problem and could point me to a few potential reasons before i take it to a garage.

Might be that a suspension coil has snapped. Not immediately visible as the car doesn't sag on the affected corner, but I've heard of a few coils breaking near the base (my own included).
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

It does sound as though it's something loose but not clunking when wheels go over a hole etc at least not all the time, thanks Ben.

Comment

My rear coil snapped recently and I dind;t spot it first when I looked, (I only looked as the car was making a metal ping sound everytime a hit a small bump, cats eye) HAd a look, coudln';t see anything, then looked again, Oh hello double coil stack, why are you ther...oh sh** back tot he driveway you go....

Either spring or rear bushes I'd say, or maybe check exhaust mountings? these failing is quite common.

Happy Hunting
        Knock Knock?

Comment

It may be the tailgate. With the tailgate closed, try pushing firmly on the bottom edge. If there's any movement, open the tailgate & screw out the stops in the bottom corners until the movement has gone but not to the point where it's difficult to close.

Worked for me!

Comment

Thank for the replies, will look at suggestions and as I'm an "old git (65)' I'll try the easy one (tailgate) first, thanks all.

Comment

Mine is doing a strange noise too. Its like a metalic noise. In the garage, if i put 1st
              Gear i hear it and then i put the reverse gear and i hear to . its only one fast "toc"
              Noise. In the road i only heart it sometimes. I thing that the problem is the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by hilas View Post
                Mine is doing a strange noise too. Its like a metalic noise. In the garage, if i put 1st
                Gear i hear it and then i put the reverse gear and i hear to . its only one fast "toc"
                Noise. In the road i only heart it sometimes. I thing that the problem is the transmission.
                For you it may be the lower rear engine mount. Easy to change the bushing if that is the case.
                Join the Facebook Group!
                Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Is it easy to see if i look under the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Hacko View Post
                    Thank for the replies, will look at suggestions and as I'm an "old git (65)' I'll try the easy one (tailgate) first, thanks all.
                    It worked for this old git!

Just to clarify, the stops that you need to adjust are the ones on the tailgate itself. My first attempt was adjusting the stops on the body, but that had a negligible effect on the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacko View Post
                      Hi, my 62 plate 120vti auto has developed a clunking noise when on a bumpy surface, it appears to be coming from the back offside but doesn't happen in sync with the wheels going over bumps etc, i just wondered if anyone has had this problem and could point me to a few potential reasons before i take it to a garage.
                      Mine has THE worst rattle from where the seat hinges into the bodywork.

Fold the seats down and from the boot, give the seat a good old jiggle. If you are looking for easy to find things before checking harder to reach area's might be worth eliminating all the easy things
                      My DS3R3... nearly....
                      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by hilas View Post
                        Is it easy to see if i look under the car?
                        If you can jack it up, yes. It's right at the bottom, a big dog-bone-shaped piece.
                        Join the Facebook Group!
                        Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I think I have this rattle too. I have had the bloody thing in bits and still not 100% sure, but it seems to be the nearside rear seat hinges.

Comment

Well it's not the tailgate, there was a bit of adjustment so tailgate good fit now but noise is still there,will take it to garage to get it on the ramps,will update soon as.

Comment

It's not the exhaust is it? Broken rusted rear exhaust bracket...

Comment

Working...
                              X