Ds3 vti 1.6 auto "in drive noise, whine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ds3 vti 1.6 auto "in drive noise, whine"

Hi all, on our second ds3, first one a ds3 dsport, smashed up by my lovely wife 😩, we now have a dstyle plus auto, we've bought used this time but with only 9k on the clock and a 14 plate, we've noticed when this car is in drive but stationary there is a whining noise from the engine or gear box but when you engage neutral or park the noise stops, so basically after a short drive I'm stationary but still in drive we hear this whining noise but engaging park or nutreal it stops whining, don't know if is a normal "engaged in drive" noise or not, it reminds me of "aircon on" change in engine noise, hopefully one of you could advise, cheers all.

Possibly transmission whine mate......but my experience with auto gearbox is non-existent.....maybe a wear n tear / lubrication issue I would defo leave this one to an expert to check out as tinkering could prove a very costly experience.Good luck with your findings.Please let us know what the outcome is!
    LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

You know about as much about auto boxes as I do Jez! My 2 cents would be take it to a dealer to get it checked, maybe taking them out for a drive and pointing out exactly when it occurs.
      ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
      Join the Facebook Group!
      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by Redstar View Post
        Hi all, on our second ds3, first one a ds3 dsport, smashed up by my lovely wife ��, we now have a dstyle plus auto, we've bought used this time but with only 9k on the clock and a 14 plate, we've noticed when this car is in drive but stationary there is a whining noise from the engine or gear box but when you engage neutral or park the noise stops, so basically after a short drive I'm stationary but still in drive we hear this whining noise but engaging park or nutreal it stops whining, don't know if is a normal "engaged in drive" noise or not, it reminds me of "aircon on" change in engine noise, hopefully one of you could advise, cheers all.
        At this year DS was using the AL4 automatic system, the noise you are hearing, as far as I'm concerned, is quite normal. I believe what you are hearing is the torque converter.

But I would say if you have any concerns then I would suggest a check by your local Citroen dealer who can run a diagnostic, bear in mind that this would not be free (depending on the dealer).
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Thanks big feet, only had it a week from md Citroen so taking it back wouldn't be a prob it's just the time and trouble, car drives fine and I could believe this was a normal noise associated with autos but I'd like to see if it was the same as other people's autos just in case

Comment

I can only hear it when parking up and with the windows down btw

Comment

Maybe pop into another dealership that has an auto with similar spec and see if they will let you try and replicate it? As it just something that happens when parked still. Just as another way to put your mind as rest
              My DS3R3... nearly....
              New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Yea could do only thing is trying to find another auto is proving difficult as there doesn't seem to be many about, guess I'll have to bit the bullet and get back down the dealer ☹️

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
                  Maybe pop into another dealership that has an auto with similar spec and see if they will let you try and replicate it? As it just something that happens when parked still. Just as another way to put your mind as rest
                  That gearbox was also used in the C3 model which might make it easier to find one for a listen.
                  ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                  Bigfeet's File Repository
                  The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                    That gearbox was also used in the C3 model which might make it easier to find one for a listen.
                    Yeah, I thought it might be.
                    My DS3R3... nearly....
                    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Hi, we have a 62 plate 120 vti auto which we also bought with 9500 miles on the clock, can't say that I've noticed a whine when stationary so might be wise to get it checked out,

Comment

I can not say I have noticed it on ours either.

Comment

Maybe whine isn't the right word, think more of when I said it's like the change in noise when you put the aircon on, I still hear it when im the car is moving when I'm parking up with the windows down and it stops when I engage park, we have a 15 year old automatic Yaris and it's engine noise pitch changes when you engage drive..., anyways bit of a shocker bought this car from Citroen Coventry 2 weeks ago now we have to wait 3 weeks for a service appointment to see if all is well, shame none of you live close enough to meet up and compare engine noises, I still think big feet is right, but we'll find out soon enough, cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X