Noise coming from front right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise coming from front right

I went out this morning and im hearing a banging noise from the front right of my car. Its sometimes when i go over a bump. Or full lock. And twice i heard a big bang that actually worried me. I got home there and took these pictures. It looks like something has broken off at the bottom of my suspension. But i dont know what it would be. Any info would be great thank you.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_130549.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	368505Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_130549.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	368505Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_130606.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	368506

snapped coil spring by the looks of it!

Comment

Looks like the spring has either snapped or the strut supporting it has corroded.
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

What would have caused this? Im a careful driver. I dont go speeding over speed ramps or anything. It was due a service on saturday but got i moved too tomorrow morning. Is it a big fix?

Comment

Originally posted by Manmadesmiith View Post
          What would have caused this? Im a careful driver. I dont go speeding over speed ramps or anything. It was due a service on saturday but got i moved too tomorrow morning. Is it a big fix?
          It's not a big fix but has the potential to be a semi-expensive one if it's not under warranty.

The underside of the car is exposed to the elements a lot more than any other part of the car. That being said, ~7 years is a short time for a modern car to corrode in such a way..
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Nah its not under warranty. Bought it from a use car place in belfast. Thats where its going tomorrow. Car is 2013 :/

Comment

It's not too terrible a repair cost, had a rear spring replaced myself at about £46

Yours may be a little more if the support strut has gone too, but manageable. You may have driven it nicely and treated it well but the previous owner(s) and the outdoor elements may not have been so kind.
              ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Welcome to the snapped front coil spring club...

And Ive just joined the snapped rear coil spring club also...

Walk along any main road and look for coil shrapnel by the kerb - its very common!

Probably best to get both front springs replaced at the same time as I did, as the other will be sure to go soon also.

Steve

Comment

Got it fixed lads. £178 for parts, labour and vat. And it was a coil spring!

Comment

Another member of the snapped coil spring club.Just had both of mine replaced £205 all in.
                    e-HDi 110 DSport Plus Perla Nera Black Metallic

Comment

Working...
                    X