Rough Cold Start on a VTi??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Cold Start on a VTi??

Today my 1.6 Vti threw a wobbly while trying to start.

I started the engine with the clutch depressed, and the RPM was wobbling between about 650-750, so I gave it some revs to try wake it up, and it went up to about 1500 then dropped to 500, shaking a lot, and stalled.

This happened 3 times before I got fed up and started it with about 25% throttle too. Worth noting by this point the temp sensor was already about halfway to normal operating temp. Once started, I kept the rpm around 3000 (which made manouvering out of a parallel parking spot difficult!) until I got out round the corner and onto a main road, where it was then happy at 700ish idle.

I've had spark plugs replaced under 10k miles ago, and it's been on V-Power for a few months - just gone back to normal 95 octane on Sunday, but still Shell as that was the nearest station when I needed to fill up.

Another point is that for maybe a month or two, on a cold start, the rpm just sits at 700-800, not around 1200 like I would expect. I'd dismissed this as being down to the warmer weather but it may be related.

It's already going to the garage next monday for all the other issues, so if this persists then that'll get added to the list. This is more and more spelling the end of this car
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Originally posted by BenS View Post
    Today my 1.6 Vti threw a wobbly while trying to start.

I started the engine with the clutch depressed, and the RPM was wobbling between about 650-750, so I gave it some revs to try wake it up, and it went up to about 1500 then dropped to 500, shaking a lot, and stalled.

This happened 3 times before I got fed up and started it with about 25% throttle too. Worth noting by this point the temp sensor was already about halfway to normal operating temp. Once started, I kept the rpm around 3000 (which made manouvering out of a parallel parking spot difficult!) until I got out round the corner and onto a main road, where it was then happy at 700ish idle.

I've had spark plugs replaced under 10k miles ago, and it's been on V-Power for a few months - just gone back to normal 95 octane on Sunday, but still Shell as that was the nearest station when I needed to fill up.

Another point is that for maybe a month or two, on a cold start, the rpm just sits at 700-800, not around 1200 like I would expect. I'd dismissed this as being down to the warmer weather but it may be related.

It's already going to the garage next monday for all the other issues, so if this persists then that'll get added to the list. This is more and more spelling the end of this car
    Sorry to hear the VTI is sounding a bit ill Ben. Can't offer much advise it but i can offer some conciliation maybe. Had a few issued with the THP as of late, on cold starts its firing up sounding like a diesel (no exaggeration will provide video at some stage) and its got a horrible rattle coming down the rev range which sounds like a fan
    getting caught (no fan is getting caught just a audio similarity). Also the car is eating fuel and oil like an elephant. Citroen topped my oil up to something like 2 litres and said do 500 miles. Did 500 miles went back to Citroen as requested to dipstick it and it had eaten a Litre and a bit no problem, the service manager at that point tried to fob me off saying
    that its okay. I totally disagreed and i wasn't happy with the problems and the response i got was "why don't you just buy a new car" and i said because it doesn't inspire me with a lot of faith having had 3 already all of which have had problems. Argued the toss for a bit longer and he finally accepted to take the car in for 2 days for a technician to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Bearing in mind i said if i had to i would go to another Citroen garage for a second opinion, and then saying if i have to ill go private for a second opinion, and explaining that i love the car i don't want a "new" one i want the one i have to be right.. Eugh.

So id suggest taking the car in and just be as decent as possible with them to start with and hope they reciprocate Take it, that its out of warranty?
    Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
    E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

"on cold starts its firing up sounding like a diesel (no exaggeration will provide video at some stage) and its got a horrible rattle coming down the rev range which sounds like a fan"

Classic timing chain death rattle
      Originally posted by cyclone
      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
      Originally posted by Broda
      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
        "on cold starts its firing up sounding like a diesel (no exaggeration will provide video at some stage) and its got a horrible rattle coming down the rev range which sounds like a fan"

Classic timing chain death rattle
        I mentioned that to the service manager and he didn't reckon so. But in the same breath when the service manager tells you to "buy a new car" rather than try sort out the one i have under warranty it makes you wonder. Its not all the time by the way its intermittent, some times it starts up absolutely fine,
        other times it will have the "death rattle" i will upload a vid!

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
        E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

Worth noting by this point the temp sensor was already about halfway to normal operating temp.

If it was like that from first try could be the temp sensor problem. Car thinks engine is already warm but its not.

Comment

Originally posted by streettweeks View Post
            I mentioned that to the service manager and he didn't reckon so. But in the same breath when the service manager tells you to "buy a new car" rather than try sort out the one i have under warranty it makes you wonder. Its not all the time by the way its intermittent, some times it starts up absolutely fine,
            other times it will have the "death rattle" i will upload a vid!
            He want's to sell a car and not fix yours. At start it will be intermittent then more and more often.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
              Worth noting by this point the temp sensor was already about halfway to normal operating temp.

If it was like that from first try could be the temp sensor problem. Car thinks engine is already warm but its not.
              Already had my temp sensor checked by Citroen, and it's not one of the recalled faulty ones. I've not had any of the other related issues like showing it's overheating or radiator fan staying on after switching the engine off. I can't remember if it was like it straight away, or if it was only after the failed starts. It did seem like the car was struggling to work out where the throttle position should be.
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Originally posted by streettweeks View Post
                So id suggest taking the car in and just be as decent as possible with them to start with and hope they reciprocate Take it, that its out of warranty?
                About 3 years out of warranty....

Sorry to hear you're having such a crap time too. This one is the last straw for me, if it's over about 250 to fix, it's going.
                Join the Facebook Group!
                Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Video as mentioned attached

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...ERvMWZLYm9vcjQ

Comment

Turns out Cyclone may have hit it on the head. Just switching ignition on, the temp needle pops up to about 33% of the way to max. And then the idle is still shaky at first, but I knew what to expect this time.
                    Join the Facebook Group!
                    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

:bow: cyclone :bow:
                      sigpic

Comment

Turn your credit into cash effortlessly with cardpeople.org! This platform exceeded my expectations with its quick and secure credit card cashing services. The process is straightforward, making it the go-to choice for anyone seeking financial flexibility. CardPeople.org is your trusted partner!

Comment

Thanks with regard to publishing this type of excellent post! I discovered your site ideal for my personal requirements. It has fantastic as well as useful articles. Continue the great function! Kuliah gratis di Universitas Budi Luhur

Comment

Discover the ultimate karaoke experience in Daegu! Unleash your inner rockstar at Daegu's top karaoke spots, where cutting-edge technology meets a vibrant atmosphere. From K-pop classics to international hits, our Daegu karaoke venues offer the perfect stage for unforgettable musical moments. Elevate your night out with friends and family in the heart of Daegu's entertainment scene. Sing your heart out in style! 대구 노래방

Comment

Elevate your roofing and insulation game with Great Lakes Roofing & Insulation Systems, a trusted name in Michigan for over 35 years. Specializing in flat and low slope roofing, we bring expertise to every project. Count on us for flawless cellulose, spray foam, and fiberglass insulation applications. roofing maintenance

Comment

Working...
                              X