Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres

Just wondering what tyre choices everyone is making?

I recently had my 3rd set of fronts at 23K miles on my 110 diesel, the Bridgestones don't seem to last very long and don't grip in the wet so I have changed to Pirelli P Zero run flats, the difference in handling is incredible much more feedback through the steering and far more grip in corners. Only downside is, according to the fitters, they'll last even less time than the Bridgestones.

Mind you, they were £400 for the pair so I'm glad it's a company car and someone else is picking up that tab!!

Has anyone tried these in the wet?

Only tyres i will use are uniroyal rainsport 2s. High tradwear rating and incredible grip wet and dry. Hoping the bridgestones dont last long so i can get rid
    Team Yellow not White

Comment

I wonder how the rainsports will affect the DS3's steering feel?

The Potenzas have incredibly stiff sidewalls (just try letting some air out of one, & see how low the pressure goes before the tyre begins to lose its shape), whereas the rainsports have quite soft sidewalls.

I'm no great fan of the Potenzas tbh - I find that they tramline quite badly, they're noisy (17"), the wet grip isn't anything special, and they're a menace in the snow - and they don't compare well in the comparison tests either.

But if I went for something else, I'd want to be confident that I wouldn't lose any of the sharpness in the steering response, because that's one of the things that makes the DS3 so satisfying to drive.

What's the ride like on the PZeros, linstan3?

Comment

I used Toyo Proxes T1-R on my C2 and plan to try them on the DS3 when the time comes to change

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
          I used Toyo Proxes T1-R on my C2 and plan to try them on the DS3 when the time comes to change
          I have the toyo proxes ps4's for £1 more per tyre well worth it

Comment

Gar, from previous experiance off the rainsports on my pug they were really good, i have heard of softer sidewall complaints but then those people clearly had incorrect pressure as i really rate them and urge people to give em a try but thats only my opinion, everbodys different and likes different feels
            Team Yellow not White

Comment

But Proxes are also renowned for having very soft side-walls!

I had them on an Ibiza Cupra and they were OK, although quite fast-wearing, but will the softer side-walls ruin the fine ride/handling balance of the DS3?

Comment

Its gonna br a case of experimentation me thinks. I never liked proxes for the awful wear rate.

I had a good experience years ago with yoko a539's discontinued now tho i believe
                Team Yellow not White

Comment

Gar,

have to say, having driven on the PZeros for over 500 miles, they are a huge improvement over the Bridgestones, turn in is much sharper and no feel of the sidewalls deforming under load.

Also, much better traction off the line with less wheelspin than the 'stones

Overall, I love the Pzero's, weird though as F1 have just gone from Potenza to Pzeros too!!

Comment

Oh yeah, much quieter too

Comment

Any particular reason you went for the PZero run-flats? What's the ride like on those? (bearing in mind the ride quality on M*n*s and BMWs fitted with run-flats, which can be spine-deforming)

Comment

gar,

went for the run flats cos thats what they had, can't say the ride is any harder than the Bridgestones.

Just waiting for some heavy rain to see how they handle in the wet, can't be worse than the 'stones though

Comment

Not be funny but I can't understand why people scrimp on tyres. It doesn't matter how good your brakes or ABS or traction control is because the only thing sticking you to the road is your tyres and remember that the contact patch from all four you can fit onto a piece of A4 paper!

Always buy the best you can afford and not the cheapest off the rack.

There, said my peace!
                          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                          Bigfeet's File Repository
                          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                            Not be funny but I can't understand why people scrimp on tyres. It doesn't matter how good your brakes or ABS or traction control is because the only thing sticking you to the road is your tyres and remember that the contact patch from all four you can fit onto a piece of A4 paper!

Always buy the best you can afford and not the cheapest off the rack.

There, said my peace!
                            And piece be with you my brother

Comment

Agree with that, Biggie. I'm not looking for a cheaper option - just a better one!

Comment

Working...
                              X