Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Help! New Car Arrived but Paint Problems

Hi Everyone!

My first post, so please excuse if similar things have been posted!

Ordered a DS3 Orla Kiely in Black for the missus. She loves it! One or two problems with delivery, until finally it arrived last week.
    I spoke with the dealership administrator who was a "no bullshit" kind of lady, which was refreshing. She basically told me the problems with delivery were just due to the sales people bullshitting, and was very apologetic. I told her that hopefully the car would be ok now after the wait!
    She told me that she believed a good idea was for me to come and inspect the vehicle prior to them taxing it, and prior to collection. I agreed!
    I arrived on Friday afternoon (collection intended for Saturday) and was a little pissed off to find that the car was still in the valeting bay, so how could i seriously approve the car? Anyway, without looking too hard, the bonnet seemed to be extensively scratched! The salesman said "don't worry it's just where the plastic protector has been it will polish out!" I told him that i wasn't some dimwit, and knew what would polish out and what would be difficult. He kept on bullshitting as they do, so i said no problem, I would "bow to his superior judgement!" but basically if the car wasn't right i wouldn't accept it!
    Saturday arrived, and the missus (full of expectation!) plus me and the kids turn up at the dealer.
    What a load of shit! The bonnet was better I'll give him that, but still not great. The worrying thing was that the whole car seemed to have scratches, blemishes, and basically marks that worried me greatly.
    Needless to say, we did not accept the car, and the dealer has vowed to get it right. My worry is that I think most things are beyond simple "polishing or buffing" and we will have long term issues with the car.
    From my point of view, i would tell them that we don't want the car, and buy something else, but the missus loves it!

Anybody's thoughts would be most welcome!

Thanks!!!

Just tell them your not having it and they will have to get you a replacement, or loose the sale.

Maybe Bigfeet could give some insight!
    sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
    Third time around.
    Work in Progress

Comment

Suggest you PM Bigfoot76. He is a dealer and font of all knowledge rrelating to Citroen.

Comment

I wouldn't accept the car in that state.....it should be "of merchantable quality", you know that its scratched and marked and that will ALWAYS bug you.
        From what we have gleaned from our tame Citroen guys there are plenty of Orla Kiely's around, so really its up to your dealer to find a decent one for you.
        I would say stick with the DS3, your unlikely to be disappointed with it, but insist on one without all the crap that you have described.

Comment

Don't accept it. You wouldn't accept a scratched £300 washing machine so why a £16000 car. When a new one arrives you will love it so hang on in there

Comment

Well am pleased someone else has bought an OK!! Sorry to hear about your issues, but i agree with everyone else and you should def get a replacement car. You will love it, but the issues will ruin the buzz.
            I've not had mine 2 weeks and someone numpty has reversed into it and scratched an dented the rear arch. |Totally gutted.

Hope you find something soon x

Comment

I also agree with all of the above. Stand firm and dont let them smooze you into doing what they want. My dealer was perfect and couldnt work hard enough for me. Upon pickup the car was totally prepped and kept indoors in the showroom. I actually drove it out onto the carpark from the showroom and there wasnt so much as a micro swirl on it. Something has gone wrong with your "intended car" as it should not arrive covered in scratches.

I think that its probably down to poor transportation companies or something. Car is not as sold to you verbally and you should be able to get every penny back if you need to ask the dealer has broken their side of the purchase contract.

Good luck.

Comment

Without knowing all the details regarding this problem as none of us have seen the car in question all I can offer is some simple advice.

First is be calm and polite, your dealer is will be more willing to help sort out any problems you have raised then if you are rude and scream and shout.

Second is with the raised issues is to have the dealer confirm what they are doing in writing, so if they are having the car machine polished to remove the marks, get it confirmed on paper. That way you will have a check list (snag list if you will) which you can tick off before accepting delivery and also make sure the dealer signs it.

Your dealer will unlikely order a second vehicle as they now own the car in question, without going into the full working lets they say they are unable to return the car.

Lastly if your dealer and yourself can't come to an agreement then you will have to look at the possibility of rejecting the car.
                Last edited by Bigfeet; 24-05-2011, 09:05.
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

hi deebee had similar problems with mine when i went to pick it up it was in the valeting bay and was gleaming under the fluorescent lighting but when i went to the front of car the bonnet looked like someone had cleaned it wearing a bracelet and with it being black looked really bad valeter tried to polish out but couldn't on closer inspection running finger nail over it couldn't feel any grooves and what appeared to be scratches where to symmetrical in shape to be scratches salesman got the bodyshop man in and he put it down to the transport stickers having bubbles in it when shipped which and would dry out if left under there heaters for a couple of hours agreed to take car as heat of engine would dry them out if not would be back in a week and if they were still present and low and behold after two days they were gone not saying yours aren't scratches but if you get a chance have a proper look at the marks and run fingernail across them see if theres any resistance as mine appeared to be about 4/5 inches long about 2mm apart but had perfectly round edges joining them together hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Everyone!
                    Latest info is that they have taken the vehicle to "their" bodyshop (local contractor) and "they" are delighted to say the car is clear of all problems.
                    We are scheduled to collect the car on Friday at 5.00p.m. so I will let you know how it goes!
                    Once again, thanks to everyone for their input!

Comment

Good to hear that you got your issues sorted out.
                      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                      Bigfeet's File Repository
                      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Hi Guys!
                        Well we turned up yesterday evening to pick the car up and........
                        The car looked better, but if it had been my choice, I would still have not accepted it, as i still think their are issues. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my wife was happy with the car, and wanted it, so "game over!"
                        I was probably more wound up by the salesman, trying to make light of it, which he had been doing all the time there were problems. I was so wound up I could have "decked" him, so decided to let the missus do the paperwrok and not get involved.
                        She is happy (which I guess is the most important thing) but for me, a very unpleasant experience!
                        Once again, thanks for all your help and advice!
                        Cheers!

Comment

Things like that always put you off but now you have the car you will enjoy it as they are brill. welcome and don't forget to come and see us some time and post pics of the car

Comment

Working...
                          X