New engine running in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New engine running in??

Took delivery of my brand new HDI 110 sport this morning. Spent the first hour driving it round town getting used to it and then took it onto some bigger roads and motorways. Gave it quite a bit of gas and my friend has just said I should be taking it easy for the first few hundred miles cos the engine might blow up.
    Surely they are taking the p*ss?

I think 'blow up' might be a bit too far.

Some people say take it easy for a few hundred miles to let the engine get fully lubricated and worn in.

Some people say absolutely give it the beans to loosen it up.

Whichever you choose won't cause immediate damage, I think it's just to prevent long-term faults

Comment

Originally posted by x6411 View Post
      Absolutely give it the beans to loosen it up.
      This.
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

THere is a thread on here somewhere with some links to a couple of sites. Different strokes for different folks seems to be the order of the day. Some say gentle, start not going over 2k revs for 500 miles, then 3k revs for 500 miles and so on, but make sure you often rach those limits. Some others say to get the engine warm then give it some beans to help seal some rings of some sort :P I'm not a mechanic, but I think im going with the second one as they had pictures to show the difference....

Comment

hammer it permanently......... more fun that way anyway
          Took me dad for a bit of a run out........ Scared him.... told me to slow down..... i was doin 40 in a 40 limit.. LOL <3 Old people

Comment

All I can say is I hope is doesn't blow up. In the just over 24hrs I've had it I've done over 250 miles and absolutely hammered the tits off it.

I never realised a diesel engined car could be so much fun. I can't imagine how quick one of the sportier petrol versions must be cos compared to my old Picasso this goes like 'Shit off a shovel' and I absolutely love it.

I pull up at the lights and the admiring glances just make my grin even wider.

Best thing ever :o)

Comment

All manuals say the same basic thing: don't labourthe engine (put it in too high a gear for the conditions). Don't push it (go over 3k rpm for a diesel and 4k rpm for petrol) and don't maintain constant speeds (use cruise control) for extended periods untill you have done > 500 miles in a petrol and > 1000 in a diesel

Comment

Don't think it says it in my manual, I just read it as "hoon to 95 leptons". Only 2600 on the clock now, but definitely looser than even a 1000 miles ago.

Comment

Hey adodman,

I'll be in a similar situation next week when I take delivery of mine (same HDI 110 DSport), which 'method' did you opt for in the end and how's it going?

Comment

Working...
                  X