Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance costs

Hi,

I was talking to a friend at the weekend and mentioned I was thinking of getting a DS3. He said you don't want to touch Citreon's as they are controlled by 5 computers that are all inter-linked and if one goes wrong you have to replace them all at a cost of about £2000. Does this mean anything to anyone/is it true?

Regards Nicky

All modern cars are controlled by a number of computers (or ECUs). Most are made by Bosch, so I wouldn't expect Citroen to be any better or any worse than other makes.

Comment

Get One Nicky, That's What A Warranty Is For !

Comment

I think there are a lot of 'known faults' with all cars from people that haven't owned one. As Dave say's, all modern cars are controlled by a number of computers. So I needn't think you should worry!!

I've never heard of this and I have owned Citroens since 2005. I Googled various combinations of your query and nothing returned a hit flagging up the problem, if was a know fault I would expect to see it somewhere on the internet.

To be fair, I didn't buy a Lamborghini Gallardo becuase I think they like to spontaneously combust.
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
          Get One Nicky, That's What A Warranty Is For !
          Exactly!
          My DS3R3... nearly....
          New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by naddis01 View Post
            Hi,

I was talking to a friend at the weekend and mentioned I was thinking of getting a DS3. He said you don't want to touch (insert any manufacturer you like) as they are controlled by 5 computers that are all inter-linked and if one goes wrong you have to replace them all at a cost of about £2000. Does this mean anything to anyone/is it true?

Regards Nicky

Any modern car will have a number of control units from the ECU which controls air and fuel, BSI which is the master unit to the ABS control unit and ESP control unit. There is even a tiny little computer that controls the clock! What your friend is scaremongering about is that Citroen uses a special wiring called Multiplex which in essence does involve the car being wired up like a human nervous system, the advantage is that it allows Citroen Tech to better interrogate the car at service point when something goes wrong.
            Last edited by Bigfeet; 24-08-2011, 08:24. Reason: Posting before tea.....Fail.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
              To be fair, I didn't buy a Lamborghini Gallardo becuase I think they like to spontaneously combust.
              Not Forgetting The VERY Common Ferrari 599 Problem...

^^^ That's Why I Didn't Buy One xD
              Attached Files

Comment

If we're talking about cars that like to burst into flames then the Ford Pinto has to be the winner every time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1974_ford_pinto-pic-4238.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	353386
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I had one of those back in the day. It was a P.O.S.
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I should think that practically all currently produced cars have the multiplex (CANBus) wiring - crikey even my 10 year old Harley is controlled by ECUs and such, and you don't get much more traditional than HD when it comes to engineering.

Certainly the 'Prince' engine and it's associated computers and stuff used in the DS3 can be found in other PSA offerings from Peugeot, and of course the (BMW) M*n*!

Wouldn't worry about it even after warranty - after market suppliers will come up with replacement/recon units.........if you ever need one!

CAN Bus is a multiplexed wiring system used to connect intelligent devices such as Electronic Control Units (ECU's) on vehicles, allowing data to be transferred in a low-cost and reliable manner. CAN means 'Controller Area Network' and was developed by Bosch in 1980. Most new vehicles use this system and it is becoming increasingly difficult to install after-market products without using a CAN Bus Interface

Oh and your friend is talking out of his fundament....in my opinion

Just my £0.02
                    Last edited by Owd git; 24-08-2011, 12:32.
                    Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Originally posted by Owd git View Post
                      Oh and your friend is talking out of his fundament....in my opinion

Just my £0.02

Yes he does have the tendancy to talk S*!T. I'll ignore him and continue to think about what colour combo I am going to get.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Yes he does have the tendancy to talk S*!T. I'll ignore him and continue to think about what colour combo I am going to get.

Thanks for the replies.
                        So you have picked what model you want yet? If not id pick that before the colour
                        2011 61 Plate, All Black DSport 150 THP, MyWay City Signature (SOLD)

2014 All Black DS5 DSport 200 THP

Comment

Originally posted by HarroDS3 View Post
                          So you have picked what model you want yet? If not id pick that before the colour
                          Yes, a DStyle diesel with the connect and city signature

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                            Not Forgetting The VERY Common Ferrari 599 Problem...

^^^ That's Why I Didn't Buy One xD
                            I think the burning pile of expensive Ferrari is a F430, not a 599! Sad I know, but the F430 is on my list of must buy when rich!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                              This is my second Citroen & the first time I've bought a car from the same manufacturer. I was very impressed with my C2 VTS & would probably still be driving her if I hadn't seen the new DS3 in the showroom when I took her in for a service in March 2010. I started researching the DS3 & her rivals and very quickly decided that the DS3 was the car for me. I spent many hours on the DS3 configurator, but then they announced the Racing & my choice was reduced to Black or White, in the end I chose White without the stickers, I prefer subtle rather than stop me officer I'd just like to say buy a DS3 it's a brilliant car. P.S. The best colour combo is Polar White/Carbon Grey but you'll be lucky to get one
                              DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X