yet another spare wheel question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another spare wheel question.

Only got the tyre repair and want to replace with space saver, jack etc, etc.
    Quite happy to buy from the dealers but went in to find out part no, price etc only to be 'helped' by a young lad fresh out of nappies who would only search via my reg no. which was obviously no use as my car didnt come one hence it is not listed. He was only able to find a steel wheel without tyre, no jack or other parts.
    could someone please point me in the right direction regarding part no, kit number or whatever.
    I have 17" wheels if its relevant.
    Thanks.

John Nicol

Comment

Not sure about part numbers ect, but as a guide price i paid £75 all in.
      Polar White DS Sport Plus 150 THP

Comment

Thanks for the replies, zack, how do I get hold of John?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1975 View Post
          Thanks for the replies, zack, how do I get hold of John?
          http://ds3club.co.uk/member.php?320-John-Nicol

Comment

I'd suspect that there is quite a few DS3 owners who wish they had purchased the spare wheel so a suggestion is we run this thread to guage how many would now want to purchase and then get an order in bulk?

Comment

Never bothered or been bothered by not physical spare wheel, I prefer the Kit anyway as it's less fuss then messing around changing a wheel. And besides less then 2 in 10 punctures can be repaired.

Besides in the rare event that I missed the fact I was running on a flat tyre and it blows out I have full roadside assistance to cover me for that.
              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
              Bigfeet's File Repository
              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                And besides less then 2 in 10 punctures can be repaired.
                2 in 10 Biggy! I must be very lucky - out of the last 4 I've had 3 have been repaired - the exception was a rear on my C2VTS that I noticed at 70mph - by the time I'd stopped the tyre was history

FROM T'INTERNET

When can you safely repair punctures?

Cuts, breaks and abrasions to the tyre casing can penetrate deep into the inner fabric of the tyre and can be extremely dangerous - capable of causing high speed blow-outs.

However, penetration of the tread by a nail or shard of glass or metal can often be safely repaired.

Puncture repairs should be carried out in accordance with BSAUl59 regulations. Only a special vulcanised plug patch should be used which repairs the tyre to the required standard.

Don't ever let anyone else attempt to repair your tyre to a lesser standard - it could prove fatal in the event of the repair failing at speed.

The main points of the BSAUI59 regulations are:

Tyres can only be repaired in the tread area.

There is no limit to the amount of repairs that can be carried out, as long as the puncture repair patches do not overlap
                Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Never bothered or been bothered by not physical spare wheel, I prefer the Kit anyway as it's less fuss then messing around changing a wheel. And besides less then 2 in 10 punctures can be repaired.

Besides in the rare event that I missed the fact I was running on a flat tyre and it blows out I have full roadside assistance to cover me for that.
                  I've never yet had a puncture that couldn't be repaired. Maybe your 8 out of 10 are punctures which have been temporarily "repaired" with sealant?

As for roadside assistance, I can change a wheel & be on my way again in under 10 minutes. . . how long does your assistance take to get to you?

It's not just the lack of a spare wheel that concerns me - it's the fact that if you don't take the spacesaver wheel option you don't get a jack, wheelbrace, etc. . . . these are necessary for other jobs besides just flat tyres!

Comment

Without trying to spark a debate I have never had a blow-out or been in a situation where I couldn't use the repair kit which is why I'm happy to use it. If I had a blow out on the tyre I most likely would end up needing Roadside assistance because of damage caused!

From what I know a nail or screw must only enter the centre section of the tyre and as long as the wheel has not been run flat for too long or got too hot then it can be repaired, otherwise it must be replaced. You would be amazed by the number of people I've seen running around on a flat.

I know you don't get a jack with the car, but I would never advise anybody to use the supplied jack as an aid to doing working under the car, it's not safe enough for that job. Besides most budding car mechanics will have a proper jack to work with.

There are pro & cons for both set-ups which I know we can all argue about all day! I'm just in the 'goo' camp
                    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                    Bigfeet's File Repository
                    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I know you don't get a jack with the car, but I would never advise anybody to use the supplied jack as an aid to doing working under the car, it's not safe enough for that job. Besides most budding car mechanics will have a proper jack to work with.
                      Jacks are not for working under cars - they are for lifting cars so that axle stands can be put under the car to support it!

Problem with not having a jack or a spare wheel is that when you've temporarily repaired the puncture with the sealant, to have a proper repair done you've got to go to a tyre place & hang about while they remove the wheel, repair the puncture & replace the wheel. . . much more convenient to just drop the wheel off & pick it up when it's ready!

Sealant or Spacesaver, you're limited to 50 mph!
                      Last edited by DaveB; 08-09-2011, 15:36.

Comment

A friend of mine was unlucky enough to get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, the "goo" would have been unable to "fix" it due to it being a rather large gash.

Luckily he had a spare wheel on board and was away again in minutes.

Not a fan of "goo" for reasons like that, plus once you pump "goo" into your tyre it's a right off, as garages will refuse to
                        fix them.

A very expensive temporary "fix"

Comment

Originally posted by Graham225 View Post
                          A friend of mine was unlucky enough to get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, the "goo" would have been unable to "fix" it due to it being a rather large gash.

Luckily he had a spare wheel on board and was away again in minutes.

Not a fan of "goo" for reasons like that, plus once you pump "goo" into your tyre it's a right off, as garages will refuse to
                          fix them.

A very expensive temporary "fix"
                          +1.

I've now got a spare in mine, but I've still got the compressor, which has proved very useful for checking the tyre pressures (and for inflating air beds etc!).

Comment

too much talking about "goo" and "gash"... i'm beginning to get a tad worried.:eek:
                            Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

Originally posted by Petewete View Post
                              too much talking about "goo" and "gash"... i'm beginning to get a tad worried.:eek:
                              :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                              X