Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No oil in car... help!

I'd like a bit of advice if possible...

Went out to my car today (THP) and on start up the engine was making a horrible noise. On closer inspection and checking the oil, it was completely empty :-/

There has been no warnings from the car that the oil is low. I've only had the car since Feb, I checked the oil prior to a long journey across the UK and back in June and then again a month or so after that and it was fine. The car has only done 6000 miles. I'm really worried that I've done some damage to it driving home last night with apparently no oil in it

If I take it back to the dealer are they going to tell me it's my fault for not monitoring the oil? I don't expect to have to do such things after only 6000 miles, I certainly wouldn't expect the oil to be empty, nor for the warning system not to at least tell me before this! :-/
    White/Black
    1.6 THP

What dealer did you get it from as your in bucks?

if the warning light didn't warn and there is a fault with the engine then you should be ok. Even a dodgy dealer surely wouldn't expect your oil to disappear in 6000 miles

Comment

Perhaps should put some in :/, 0W40

We came,
      We saw,
      We stood around,
      We went home. :cool:

#19:10 Arlow> You do know you can use your laptop whilst its plugged in

Comment

Got it from Hemel, but Slough is now my closest dealer so going to take it there. I was thinking they couldn't possibly refuse to acknowledge it with only 6k on the clock but I always fear the worst with these things!

Not sure whether to put some oil in or not until I have spoken to dealer, not much I can do to prove that no warnings are working if I put some back in.

Got a bad feeling from the noise it's making that it's already done some damage
        White/Black
        1.6 THP

Comment

Not to be a downer but to start with I agree with you , watched a programme not long ago were a bloke had a brand new astra , his engine went bang after 6 months , no oil present , dealer said it was his responsibility to monitor so out came the cheque book £6000 , the engine was replaced , the programme investigated and agreed that no new car should lose all it's oil in that time , the block was no longer available for inspection , when the programme rang dealer they asked how long can it take to use all oil strangely they said it can be used in 6 months hard driving but it's unsual on a new car, in the end the bloke got money back cos of BBC getting involved , but heres advice given , don't trust first diagnosis ie like this bloke did , no oil = damage your fault ! Go to a garage you know get it checked first , I would say u have a leak from sump or block , if this is the case get proof pics maybe , then off to dealer warranty claim , only saying worse case scenario they get your car say there is no leak your fault u pay u then have no way of proving it hope that makes some sense mate good luck !

Comment

Well Dont You Think The 1st Thing You Should Do Is Put Some Oil In ?

Make Sure It's Total Oil or You'll Void Your Warranty...

Comment

THP engines can use a litre every 1000 miles so should be checked at least weekly. Guess where all that oils going? All around your inlet valve and combustion chamber. To avoid a replacement engine delete the rear PCV and top your oil up to avoid future problems. Most dealers dont know about the modification as its only on the latest THP engined Peugeots.

Comment

Vauxhall are a killer for oil loss. Turbo'd cars lose it fastER of course as some gets past the seals. Only an rx8 should drink that much.

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                  Well Dont You Think The 1st Thing You Should Do Is Put Some Oil In ?

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Not sure whether to put some oil in or not until I have spoken to dealer, not much I can do to prove that no warnings are working if I put some back in.
                  It was in at the dealers only a few months ago as I thought it sounded a bit strange and they said everything was fine then- so unless it's lost the whole lot in that time, it's really got to be an issue.

I understand that you need to check the oil regularly, but are we really talking weekly on a brand new car? Especially when I only use it at weekends! I don't drive it hard in the main, obviously it gets the odd blast but over the last 3000 miles my mpg is 40 or so, hardly booting it!

Meh, will get onto the dealer tomorrow, just really nervous that I can see how it can be perceived as being my fault for not checking it
                  White/Black
                  1.6 THP

Comment

On start-up, there should be a message at the bottom of the tacho dial that says "Oil OK", and if the oil level falls below the recommended minimum you should get a warning message. If this hasn't happened, & the engine has been damaged because it's been run with insufficient oil, I think you've got a good argument that the warranty should still apply, as you have a reasonable expectation - based on the diagnostic & warning systems that are explained in the handbook - that the car will give you a low-oil-level warning before it reaches the point of going into self-destruct mode.

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                      Not so - as long as it meets the correct Peugeot Citroen specification, you should be OK. Insisting on Total Oil would be a restrictive trade practice, and unlawful under competition law.

Halfords now do a fully synthetic 5W/30 that meets the PSA spec - yours for around £30 for 5 litres at the moment, as it's currently on offer at 20% off.

Comment

Originally posted by gar074 View Post
                        Not so - as long as it meets the correct Peugeot Citroen specification, you should be OK. Insisting on Total Oil would be a restrictive trade practice, and unlawful under competition law.

Halfords now do a fully synthetic 5W/30 that meets the PSA spec - yours for around £30 for 5 litres at the moment, as it's currently on offer at 20% off.
                        Only Passing On Info That Bigfeet Provided...

Comment

In an emergency any oil is better than none

Comment

If you'd zero oil pressure then surely a warning message would have appeared - don't have the handbook here to check what that would be and it's raining outside! Probably would be STOP appearing on the dash?

If an oil pressure warning hasn't appeared I would top it up to the correct level and run it. My THP engine has always sounded very agricultural particularly when run with the bonnet open as you may have done

Oil usage with 13k on the clock is still low - of the order of 0.5 litre in 5000 miles
                            Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Completly empty?? :confused:
                              How that possible!

My DS3 uses around 0,5 litre every 5000km

You also didn't get a notice via the dash when starting up the engine? (Must say "Oil OK" in the display)
                              DS3 THP Sport Chic Blanc Banquise / Noir Onyx - Forge Pipe Kit - Forge Induction Kit - Forge Recirculating Valve - Custom Intercooler - H&R 25mm

Comment

Working...
                              X